Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 Domain controller transfer

hello

i plan to transfer my primary domain controller for windows server 2003 to another server in the office

what is it that i need to do and observe and kindly give me the procedures as well..

do i need to install the other roles to the new server as well...e.g dns,AD users and computers, dhcp e.t.c

i would like to know the above and more about the process

Re: Windows 2003 Domain controller transfer

I've moved the thread to the main Server 2003 forum as I don't think SBS is involved (if it is, please say so and I will move it back as advice will be different)

Rough process (assuming new server is on domain, previous DC will be retired and also that DHCP is in use)
    1) Well in advance, reduce DHCP lease length to a short time to speed up change to new server, also add new server IP address as an additional DNS server
    2) DCPromo new server (reboot required), and make it a GC
    3) Confirm AD replication is working by e.g. adding a new OU on each DC and checking it replicates to the other within say 30 mins
    4) Add DNS role (AD integrated) to new server and confirm replication occurs
    5) Add DHCP role to new server
    6) Disable DHCP scope on old server, create new scope with same settings on new server - except do not use old server for DNS
    7) Confirm clients are picking up new server for DHCP
    At this point, the new server should be fine, so proceed. If any doubts, stop and think as nothing is permanent at this stage
    8 ) Remove DHCP and DNS roles from old server
    9) DCPromo old server to remove DC role -- assuming there are only the old and new DCs, FSMOs will transfer gracefully. If you have another DC, let us know as FSMOs will need manual transfer
    10) sit back and relax....

Basically, take your time over it, verify each stage is OK, and all will be well. problems occur when you rush at things...
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Admin.

And can you please let me know about the FSMO roles.

Do i need to transfer them as well and if so how to i go about it? i.e from which server should i be logged in to transfer them via the mmc console.

Comment

See step 9 above and http://www.petri.com/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks

Clarify for me the following as well

when installing AD in the new 2003 server do i install it as an add itional Domain Controller for the same Active Directory domain in the same Active Directory forest as my current Domain Controller

or should it be domain in a new forest or in the current forest?

Comment

Additional Domain Controller
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

thanks

When i run the additional domain installation wizard..i get the follow error
              This Active Directory installation requires domain configuration changes, but whether these changes have been made on the domain controller xxx.domain.com is undetermined. The installation process has quit.
              “The system cannot find the file specified.”
              I thought its something to do with some missing fsmo roles in the current domain .. i have tried transferring them using the ntdsutil.exe tool
              when i try to transfer them i get the following error.
              (The requested FSMO operation failed. The current. FSMO holder could not be contacted..
              what could be the issue?
              Nb.I am installing an additional domain controller in the current exiting one..

Comment

What Operating Systems are involved -- you will need to ADPREP if the ADC has a higher OS than the main DC

Why have you done anything with the FSMOs -- if you only had one DC, it must hold all the FSMOs so where can you transfer them to before you promote the ADC
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

the current operating system is window server 2003 ..with a functional level of 2000.

the ADC ought also to have the same versions.

I havent done anything with the FSMO..i just thought they could be the issue..transfer didnt go through though.

Comment

So is the ADC also Server 2003, or is it 2003R2?

If it is 2003R2, you should put the media (CD2 IIRC) in the main DC and locate ADPREP (32 or 64 bit version depending on the main DCs OS) and run it to upgrade AD functionality before you DCPROMO the ADC
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

the new ADC that i intend to install had AD services installed previously..but they were removed.

I think it has some fsmo roles installed already...e.g infrastructure master role..
                      when i try to transfer the role - i get the following error message

The requested FSMO operation failed. The current. FSMO holder could not be contacted..

could it be because i havent installed DNS in the server i intend to make an additional dc ... would trying to seize the role help?

Comment

both the servers are 2003 R2 .they have the same version
                        Last edited by pope; 11th June 2013, 08:46.

Comment

OK, suggest you
                          a) Remove the server which previously had AD on it from the domain, format and reinstall, then join the domain as a member server with a new name
                          b) Make sure all FSMOs are on the main DC

Then try promoting the ADC
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

thanks Ossian,

I did manage to install the ADC.

however, i had to seize the infrastructure master role...

now..can you please let me know if there is a way i can synchronise the DNS servers..such that the ADC will have the rights settings for DNS as they are in the current one.

DHCP server in the new ADC seems to be okay..although its not active yet...

i think it will be active once i demote the current AD

Comment

Are both DNS server AD integrated?
                              If not, make them so and they should sync automatically within about an hour
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X