Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this all I need to replace the First Server in my Windows 2000 Domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this all I need to replace the First Server in my Windows 2000 Domain?

Hi, Hoping for help.

I am busy upgrading to 2008 R2, but for now I have to replace my old Windows 2000 DC, First computer in the domain DC. From all I have read I need to:

Be a DC
    Transfer all FSMO roles
    Be a Global Catalog Server (and verify)
    Be the DNS server, AD integrated

Demote the old server.

Is this all there is to it? Do I remove Global Catalog from the former First PC in the domain first?

I've ran all the support tools and they show no error.

Re: Is this all I need to replace the First Server in my Windows 2000 Domain?

You of course run the usual Adprep /ForestPrep, Adprep /DomainPrep and Adprep /Domainprep /GPPrep seeing that it is a 2000 DC. Upgrading straight from 2000 to 2008 R2 I don't believe is officially supported but I have carried them out in the past with success. It is worth restoring a system state backup of your 2000 DC to a test VM in order to carry out a test upgrade in an isolated environment.

Also, ensure other services are also migrated such as DHCP and re-configure the DHCP scope(s), network devices and PCs and so on with the updated DNS information.

It would be worth carrying out a DCDIAG prior to the upgrade as well and reviewing/saving the results to a TXT file. This should be carried out at various stages in the upgrade as in before and after ADPREP, promoting the 2008 R2 server to a DC etc.

When all Clients and devices use the new server as the DNS server, is a GC and has all FSMO roles, you should power off the DC due to be removed for a day, to see if any issues are encountered. It can then be powered back on and left for 24 hours.

Keep in mind that you have taken a System State backup prior to the upgrade. You will need to carry one out post-upgrade as well.

When it comes to removing it, personally, I tend to first take a System State backup of the server (both DCs in this case) and remove the DNS role from the server and remove it as a GC and leave for 24 hours. I then carry out a DCDIAG prior to finally demoting from being a DC and remove the Server Object from AD Sites and Services after a reboot. It's then a case of reviewing DNS to make sure that the old server has no DNS records left behind.

Comment

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

I forgot to mention that the server that is going to be replaced is also the
      only DNS server in the domain (as well as DHCP & WINS).

Is their away to transfer the DNS settings to the new server's DNS?

-Nick

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Your plan seems fine.
      >
      > Bear in mind a couple of things:
      > -- After demoting, remove from the domain, and delete the computer account.
      > -- Ensure you remove the entries from DNS
      > -- Have more than one GC - in this single domain environment, make all DCs
      > GCs.
      >
      > The remote DC should be a GC even if you don't make them all GCs.

Comment

> My company has Win2000 AD running with 3 DCs (two onsite, one in remote
        > office). The DC that I want to replace is also the Global Catalog. I want
        > to give the new server the same name as the server I'm replacing. Is this
        > possible?
        >
        > Here's my plan: Make another DC the Global Catalog. Demote the DC. Take it
        > out of the domain. Rename the new server the same as the old server.
        > Promote it to DC and make it the Global Catalog server.
        >
        > I should also mention that I have an Exchange 2003 server in the domain.
        >
        > Will this work or am I completely wrong?
        > Thanks for your help!

Comment

sorry, I forgot some things:

When you demote a Domain Controller the dcpromo process will indeed transfer
          any roles that the 'being demoted' DC might hold to another Domain
          Controller ( assuming that there is another Domain Controller and that it
          can find and bind to it ). So, technically - do you need to transfer
          manually? Absolutely not. But, as Paul so aptly stated, you will probably
          want to so that you can control this.

Hope my answer can help you.

Comment

Working...
          X