No announcement yet.

Moving to new Server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to new Server

I apologize if that has been asked a few times before, but....
    I have a Small Business Server 2000 (max 50 users). I need to update my network because we will soon exceed number of users. My scenario is to replace current SBS2K box with a new DC running W2K3 as a DC, file/print, dhcp, dns, etc. I am also adding a stand alone box for E2K3. I will be doing some other things as well with other servers. There is no easy (read cheap $$$) way to migrate from SBS2K to a standard OS because you can't use M$ ADMT software. I have already recreated my users and groups on the new server. I have also set up robocopy to mirror my current servers data files. I will need to reset the rights to all the folders. What else do I need to do on the W2K3 box?
    Next, what else will I need to do with E2K3? Can I use Exmerge and save all the users settings as pst files? Would it be better to go to each workstation and do that manually? What else do I need to do? My internal domain name is changing slightly (companyname.local), but our external e-mail is currently forwarded from our web host. Our ISP takes care of the MX records, so all I should have to do is make sure I add the external e-mail addresses for the users, right?
    The third and final question....Many of my users use roaming profiiles. Is there anything I need to do to make sure the settings are based on the new server settings? Is there a tool or scripts that can make this work? For example, they may have shortcuts pointing to their folders on the desktop. Do I set up a default desktop profile and add them to everybodys? How about setting up Outlook? Do I need to go to each workstation and reconfigure them for each login? Do I run delprof on each workstation and create each profile again?
    I just want to get my ducks in a row because I plan on moving over in the next few weeks and any shortcuts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by tashland; 5th January 2006, 23:57.