Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backup all Servers with a tape box on a Server.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup all Servers with a tape box on a Server.

Hi all,

We have 4 Servers : DC, Proxy, App, Mail & File.
    App Server has a tape box.

Now we want to backup the data & System State of all Servers to the tapes. How can we do that ?

Thank you.
    Last edited by nguyennp; 5th January 2006, 11:48.
    Love in vain is better than love no one.

Re: Backup all Servers with a tape box on a Server.

Is the drive attached to a server?? Either internal or external??

I would probably do the following:

Install Backup Exec 10 on the server that has the tape drive attached.
    Install Backup Exec 10 Remote Agent on other 3 servers.
    Configure backup jobs for all the servers starting with the App server which i would have overwrite the media and then schedule a job for each of the other servers to append to the media.

Comment

[i/Is the drive attached to a server?? Either internal or external??[/i]

Yes. And it's internal.

Thanks for your idea. Yet, I want to do that with Backup tool of Windows.
      Is Backup exec an resolution ?

Comment

I'm not sure if it will work with NTBackup in the way mentioned.

You may need to backup all the servers to a location, ie network drive on App server, then backup the app server.

Comment

You will need to buy:

Backupexec 10d
          1x Agent for Windows Servers
          1x Agent for Exchange server (if you use Exchange server)
          1x Support services and version upgrade for the next 2 years.

* There other software outside, but this the easy way to work.

There no reason to backup the proxy server. You can image the server from time to time, but due the fact that there no (usually) changes in this server, there no need to add it to the regular backup schedule.
          Also, please verity that you have a backup tape that can backup all the servers - I guess that you will need at least LOT1 100/100 Backup tape to backup all the date.

Regards,

Yuval
          Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Definitely go with Backup Exec. Thats what we use and it works great!

Comment

Thanks for all replies.

OK. I will backup the system state to another partition, not to tape.

Another question : How can SCHEDULE to backup the data ( about 60 GB) with 10 tapes 20 GB ?

I intend to create a full backup ( normal type ) every Saturday evening, Incremental ( or Differental ) backup every other days. Certaintly : SCHEDULE.

I mapped the data folders from File Server to the Application Server which has Backup device. The data is about 60 GB. But we had only 10 tapes 20 GB.

Could you give me an advise how to schedule to make a full backup every Saturday evening ?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Please consider to buy a new backup tape - LTO1 100/200 GB (cosf ~1400$). I dont think that you will like to replace each full backup the media in the current backup tape (this will require at least 3 time replaces so you will need to stay in the office almost all end of the week.
                Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Are you attempting to avoid the cost associated with upgrading or implementing a system? Keep in mind that disaster recovery is not the place to try and save money. If you have a setup that barely meets your needs today, what will happen when you grow in the future?
                  I agree with yuval14 in that you should make an investment into a system that can meet your storage requirements, as well as a GOOD software package that will let you manage the backups efficiently.
                  I have been looking into Comvault, but currently use CA Bright store. These are far from cheap but they do a great job.
                  If you cannot afford the investment and must use what is available, you can share a networked drive and have the systems back up to it, then put those to tape or run a backup of that server/location. This will make the disaster recovery process a bit more complicated and I would recommend testing it thoroughly on a routine basis.

Comment

Hi,

jeremie_ingram, I know it's also a workaround but it's also not safe. thanks for
                    your idea.

I will consider buying some new tapes with hight storage capacity.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X