Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to join a new Windows Server 2003 serve to existing Windows Server 2000 domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to join a new Windows Server 2003 serve to existing Windows Server 2000 domain?

Hi,

Does anybody know how where can I find detail steps to add a new server running Windows Server 2003 to an existing domain controller run by a Windows 2000 Server?

The current domain controller also a Terminal Server, we bought a new server trying to take over the Terminal Server role, but the new server is running on Windows Server 2003...please advise if anybody had it done before, many many thanks.

Dan

Re: How to join a new Windows Server 2003 serve to existing Windows Server 2000 domain?

You can directly join the W2003 machine as a domain member. If you want it to be a DC (not likely if you intend it as a TS) then there are additional steps.

Comment

Re: How to join a new Windows Server 2003 serve to existing Windows Server 2000 domain?

Is it a better idea to use a separate DC? We originally thinking to use the new Windows Server 2003 server as a secondary DC and also as a TS.

I think we will keep it separate and buy another server as a secondary DC...But we have question in configuring a W2003 server into a secondary DC in our existing W2k server domain...any suggestion?

Do you happen to know if it is possible to transfer or move TS License from our current W2K server to the new W2003 server?

Comment

If you have normal users running programs on a DC you have a considerable security risk. But if you are a small shop you probably won't be too strict about security.

Adding a W2003 DC to a W2000 forest will cost you a schema upgrade. Nothing scary, just something to be aware off.

Comment

Thank you wkasdo, I just joined the W2003 server to the W2K domain as a TS server, and forget about secondary DC. We will deal with adding a secondary DC later. Many thanks for your advice,

dan

Comment

Hi, I just joined this community due to the similar problem.

I have a new W2K3 server and thinking to replace the existing W2K DC. I am planning and would like to understand what is the impact if I join the W2K3 server into the existing domain, promote to DC and disconnect the W2K DC? What is/are the thing(s) I need to take note of during the process?

Thank you very much....

Comment

You should make sure that all the FSMO roles have moved to the new DC and then demote the old one using dcpromo.

Comment

Three excellent articles to read.

Transfer FSMO
                Seize FSMO
                Understanding FSMO Roles
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You will also have to run forestprep and domainprep in the windows 2000 forest / domain. This is upgrade the windows 2000 scheme to handle a windows 2003 DC.

Once again Mr. Petri has provided the perfect article:

http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_adprep.htm

Michael
                  Michael Armstrong
                  www.m80arm.co.uk
                  MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for all of your advices, Niv, biggles77 and m80ram.

Due to the limitation of environment, I can't follow the article to run it in the test environment before performing joining the W2K3 into W2K domain. Need your advise on the steps I read from all the articles are corrected or not. Here they are:

1. Run adprep/forestpreo from the W2K DC. The adprep/forestpreo is provided by W2K3 server disc.
                    2. Run adprep/domainprep from W2K DC.
                    3. Run dcpromo from W2K3 server and join it into the W2K domain. This will promote the normal W2K3 server to DC. (will this automatically replicate all the DNS, WINS etc to the new W2K3 DC? )
                    4. Perform FSMO transfer.
                    5. Run dcpromo to "downgrade" the W2K DC to normal W2K server.
                    6. Disconnect the W2K server.

Still figuring out....

Thanks and regards,

Comment

Hi,

i am hhaving the similar problem that you are having only that i want the server running server 2003 to act as a database server and nothing else but in a domain being run by server 2000. if anyone knows how to assist please write me an e-mail

Comment

Please do not hijack other people's threads.

In order to add a server to a domain, just join it to the domain. If that's not your case, open a new thread AFTER CAREFULLY READING THE FORUM RULES!!!
                        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

How to join a new Windows Server 2003 serve to existing Windows Server 2000 domain?

Hi Teachme,

I think you have the correct order to proceed to the migration, i've been looking around cause i've got the same issues, and that's the way iīll do it, i have to correct also the Ldap Exchange problem. Then i post my experience here.

Regards.

Comment

Re: How to join Windows Server 2003 server to existing Windows 2000 domain?

Originally posted by wkasdo View Post
                            But if you are a small shop you probably won't be too strict about security.
                            I resemble that remark!! Size is not related to security in any shape, manner or form. Of course, many small shops don't take their security seriously - then they get nailed and may even go out of business. Our job as IT Pros is to help them be aware of the security angle and to appraise them of the costs.
                            Someone I see on the net has a tag line of:
                            If you think that patching your computers is expensive - try not patching them!
                            That about sums it up.

TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                            http://www.wintra.co.il/
                            sigpic
                            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                            X