Windows 2003 Srvr & Client DNS problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 Srvr & Client DNS problems

I am supporting a small business environment with Windows 2003 (SBS) server and 8 Windows XP clients. The server has Active Directory integrated DNS. All the computers are connected networked using a 3COM switch. The 3 COM switch is connected to the DSL ROUTER through a CHECKPOINT FIREWALL for Shared internet access.

There is a internet access issue. The problem is sometime 2 or 3 computers ( clients and /or server) cannot access the internet. i.e. DSKTP1 and DSKTP2 may connect one day and may not on the next day. The behaviour is not predictable, because sometimes all the systems can acccess the internet.

Last week when there was a problem, I did the following test :

1. On the computer with this internet access inability issue, I executed NSLOOKUP, it returned with authorative DNS server, then I issued www.yahoo.com, it returned with all the IP addresses for www.yahoo.com .

2. When I tried to ping to www.yahoo.com IP address obtained from above I got a " REquest Timed out" message.

Before carrying out the above test, I did IPCONFIG / Release, IPCONFIG/flushdns and IPCONFIG / Renew on the dkstp.

A Week before last, When there was a similar issue, I power cycled everything thing i.e. Firewall, DSL modem, 3com switch and the server and was able to get everything to work.

Since I am unable to locate the root cause of this issue, please help me to resolve this problem

Thanks

Re: Windows 2003 Srvr & Client DNS problems

I'll put my money on the router. I have the exact same problem and a router reboot fixes it. Can last several weeks or 2 days before it needs redone.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Biggles77,

Thanks for your reply. Do you think changing the router will. I thinking of buying a Linksys DSL router and try. Do you think that will help ?.
      I understand that the DSL router they have is from Verizon WESTELL or something like that.

Gurpur Pai

Comment

Simple Idea - Did you put your router/firewall/switches on a UPS? Helps a lot! - Joe Noonan

Comment

Yes, They are all connected to a UPS.

Comment

Before replacing the router I would make it 100% certain that IT was the problem. Next time the problem happens, just power cycle the router only. If that fixes it then you could try and flash the firmware to the lastest release.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X