X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add windows 2003 R2 as additional DC to existing Windows 2000 Dc

Dear Experts,

Quick question:
    I have windows 2000 DC in my setup and this is the ONLY DC I have, For something new in our environment I need to add a windows 2003 R2 as additional DC, I have a question can I add Windows 2003 R2 as additional DC to existing Windows 2000 Domain ? then finally can I make the newly installed Windows 2003 R2 DC as my primary DC ?

Waiting for response.

Thanks,

Re: Add windows 2003 R2 as additional DC to existing Windows 2000 Dc

Yes you can
    You will need to extend the AD Schema first -- run adprep (there are various switches you need with it) from the 2003 media on the existing DC before you DCPROMO

Once promoted you can move the FSMOs - use to show you how
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Add windows 2003 R2 as additional DC to existing Windows 2000 Dc

From memory ADPREP is on the 2nd CD.
      Are you staying 32bit on Server 2003 R2 or upping it to 64bit? If doing that, then you need to download the appropriate ADPREP as that option is not on the CD as I remember i had to download it from MS. Still got it somewhere but not the link which is likely to have gone by now. You are looking at a 7 year old operating system.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
      X