Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS cannot be resolved on External

Dear all,
    I have Win2K Server SP4 act as DNS, DC and AD. I use Sonicwall as Firewall.
    The diagram as my attachment file. I configure NAT on Firewall for my DNS servers (Public IP). On DNS record I also add Public IP as Host record and as my DNS server's IP.The problem is sometime my DNS cannot be resolved by Internet due to connect to my Local IP server xxx.xxx.xxx.1. How I should configure my DNS server and Firewall ?
    I tried to use Forwarder and pointing to my ISP, but I cannot receive email from External.
    Please help......!!

Regards
    Attached Files

Re: DNS cannot be resolved on External

First off, your diagram shows a badly configured DC. It has as its second DNS entry the external DNS. That's always wrong. Trust the forwarder of the DNS service.

Then, I get the impression that you want to host DNS yourself. That's probably not what you want. Leave DNS to your ISP. At your ISP, configure the following records for your internet domain:

1. A record with your public IP
    2. MX record with your public hostname
    3. PTR record to your public IP.

Try that for starters.

Comment

Hi wkasdo,
      You are correct. I want to host my DNS on my server, Is it a mistake ? Fyi, I still can receive and send email using this diagram, since My MX record pointing to Public IP.Could you give me a simple diagram for DNS based on my Server infrastructure ?
      If you don't mind please send email to me at [email protected]

Regards,
      Moel

wkasdo
      MVP
      MVP Join Date: Jan 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, your diagram shows a badly configured DC. It has as its second DNS entry the external DNS. That's always wrong. Trust the forwarder of the DNS service.

Then, I get the impression that you want to host DNS yourself. That's probably not what you want. Leave DNS to your ISP. At your ISP, configure the following records for your internet domain:

1. A record with your public IP
      2. MX record with your public hostname
      3. PTR record to your public IP.

Try that for starters.
      Attached Files

Comment

> I want to host my DNS on my server, Is it a mistake

I don't know if it is a mistake, but it is unusual for a small network. For instance, I'm not hearing you say that you have a delegation from your ISP or a higher authority. That suggests to me that you are not really sure what is going on here

I believe that you can send email, but you cannot receive external (internet) email without an external DNS (or a proper delegation, of course). This matches your symptoms.

In short, use your internal DNS for internal records, have it forward to your ISP, and leave it at that. Let your ISP define your external DNS records.

Comment

Working...
        X