Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running out of disc space while in migration from Exch03 to 2010

All,

I'm in the middle of a migration from Exchange 2003 to 2010. Starting to move mailboxes this week but will take at least 3 weeks since I will need to do this off hours.

I am in a bit of a pickle because I only have about 38GB left on my mailstore/transaction log drive. I just ran out of disc space at 6pm(thank god) and was able to recover about 1gb, rebooted and everything came back up. Starting BackupExec now and having a consultant remove some transaction logs becuase I fear it will run out of space again before backup is done.

I think part of running out of space is becuase my last full backup is Friday night and don't do another backup Monday.(today) I guess over the weekend of testing and moving test mailbox around, it ate up my space late today.

Anyways, what are my current options? I have VMware, so I can technically P2V this server and buy some time, or I can also enable 'Circular Logging" for the next 3 weeks while I move mailboxes over.

What would you guys do in my situation?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Running out of disc space while in migration from Exch03 to 2010

Are you on a physical or virtual server at this time??

First step would be to enable Circular Logging, or even better move your log files off to a separate drive.

Your full backups will clear the logs on the Exchange box if setup correctly. From memory BE does this by default.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      Are you on a physical or virtual server at this time??

First step would be to enable Circular Logging, or even better move your log files off to a separate drive.

Your full backups will clear the logs on the Exchange box if setup correctly. From memory BE does this by default.
      Wullieb1,

The Exch2003 server is still on physical. I do have a VMWare environment, if worst case scenerio, I can put it from a P2V.

I don't have enough space on the Exch2003 sever to put the logs on another drive and I understand USB drive as a quick fix is not supported.

I am going to start moving mailboxes at night and weekends. I am assuming it is going to take me 3 weeks to do this move. Would Circular Logging be a quick fix for the time being? I understand that if Circular loggins is enabled, I won't be able to restore from the latest logs, but from the last full backup?

Comment

Circular loggin would certainly help this, especially when you start migrating mailboxes across.

If you can spare the time i would look at doing the following:

P2V your existing server.
        Power off your old physical box.
        Add a new HDD for your logs and increase the space available for your DB.

I'm a bit worried that your DB will crash in the event that you migrate too many mailboxes to it.

Just my 2c worth

Comment

Circular loggin would certainly help this, especially when you start migrating mailboxes across.

If you can spare the time i would look at doing the following:

P2V your existing server.
          Power off your old physical box.
          Add a new HDD for your logs and increase the space available for your DB.

I'm a bit worried that your DB will crash in the event that you migrate too many mailboxes to it.

Just my 2c worth
          wullieb1,

So if you were in my situation, for the time being, enable Circular Logging, this Friday, after a good full backup, initiate the P2V process as described?

And again, can you confirm the downside of having Circular Logging? Just if/when a mail store crash, I can only restore from the last full backup? Mail flow etc...will continue the same correct?

Comment

Also,

I just want to confirm that P2V an Exchange2003 server is fine correct? I've read that its not supported, but have also read people P2V Exchange2003.

Thanks!

Comment

It isn't supported but then again neither is Exchange 2003 anymore.

Yes enable circular logging if you wish.

Yes you are correct that you will lose a certain amount of data with circular logging enabled. You will only be able to restore from the last full backup.

Seriously if you are that concerned about losing email then P2V your existing setup and get it over and done with.

Some light bed time reading for you.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/exchange_best_practices.pdf

Comment

It isn't supported but then again neither is Exchange 2003 anymore.

Yes enable circular logging if you wish.

Yes you are correct that you will lose a certain amount of data with circular logging enabled. You will only be able to restore from the last full backup.

Seriously if you are that concerned about losing email then P2V your existing setup and get it over and done with.

Some light bed time reading for you.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/exchange_best_practices.pdf
                wullieb1,

After speaking with another consultant, I think we will go with Circular Logging tonight. He said my Exchange 2003 server is about 500gb and doing a P2V might take the whole weekend and my users will not be happy with such a downtime.
                So I may just stick with Circular logging, move mailboxs on MailStore1 which is about 100gb, and after that, delete Mailstore1 and that would recover 100gb for me.

So looks like Circular Logging it is. Hope none of my Mail Stores craps out on me in the next 3 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                X