Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Issue?

Hi All,

I have recently setup a new domain controller with DHCP and DNS Enabled. I thought that everything was working fine as I attached two XP clients to the domain without issue. All of a sudden I can no longer connect with the DC. I can not ping by server name but can ping by IP. Any help would be much appreciated.

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : dougs00
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : dougs.local
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : dougs.local
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-E2-BA-0C-8E-F5
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Re: DNS Issue?

The text in your post shows this machine looking to itself for DNS.
    What is your servers IP? I would check DHCP is handing out that for DNS.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I was told that the pdc should point to itself for DNS. The server ip is 192.168.1.1

I also wonder about the "unknown node type" I dont think that that is normal is it?

Thanks!

Comment

The network card in there is a desktop adapter so I figured the IPConfig was from the client. Have you got one from them?
        How many DCs do you have?
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Have you checked the configuration of your DHCP scope? Make sure that the options for DNS, gateway etc are filled in correctly. Or, try removing the scope and re-creating it.

You can check this straight away by running ipconfig /all on the xp clients and checking the DNS/gateway results. They should match those from your server.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
            The network card in there is a desktop adapter so I figured the IPConfig was from the client. Have you got one from them?
            How many DCs do you have?
            You are correct Andy that the NIC card is a desktop card. It is a gig card that I installed when I upgraded my network. The onboard IBM is 10/100. Do you think that it could be a problem? I have only one DC. It is a very small network with about 8 client machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
              Have you checked the configuration of your DHCP scope? Make sure that the options for DNS, gateway etc are filled in correctly. Or, try removing the scope and re-creating it.

You can check this straight away by running ipconfig /all on the xp clients and checking the DNS/gateway results. They should match those from your server.
              I have checked the DNS settings and they look ok. I just did an ipconfig /all on a client. It shows correct settings. It is strange as it seems to be working ok again but I am afraid that it will mess up again as I really have not fixed anything.

I reset the NIC card and it started working again. Maybe it is the PC grade card causing the issues??

Comment

Are the IP addresses of the clients correctly registered in DNS? Have you tried setting up reservations for the clients so they get specific IP addresses each time they poll the DHCP server?

Perhaps using a higher grade card might help - I wouldn't know, but I remember when using a Win98 machine as a storage server before the Win2k Server OS's etc were available, we never had any issues with the cards.
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Dear Friend
                  reinstall DNS, Actually DNS is not working properly

Comment

@Hardknocks

Can you post an IPCONFIG/ALL from
                    a) the DC
                    b) a working client
                    c) a problem client

There are a lot of things we can look at before "reinstall DNS" becomes necessary -- may not even be possible since AD relies on DNS and, AFAIK, this is your only DNS server
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X