No announcement yet.

win2k and Active Directory

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win2k and Active Directory

I gotta run Web, Mail server on win2k. & I browsed your some articles regarding DNS to start it. And now I got some questions though, Let me ask a question for now pls. Should I use the Active Directory, and configure it through EVEN when I wanna run couple of web ( I mean with different domain name ) and mail server ( which is not smtp function incorporated in win2k ). Should it work by setting up DNS and IIS detail or some. I gonna put a mail server program in that computer as well.

It'd be of good help when you give me some http to refer to in this regard.

The server I gonna run will work as kind of standalone, not networked at early stage, Thanks for reading and expectin your kind reply..

Hi Keith,

If I read you right, you are wanting to run a web / mail server only (no file serving over a LAN etc) so you do not need AD unless you want it. IMHO it is designed more for LAN/WAN security and control so, unless you want to have secure access to your sites, it is not vital.

The exception would be if you want to use MS Exchange for your mail, in which case AD is required.

DNS / SMTP / Web / FTP can be handled by Windows or by third party applications.

Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Thanks Tom

Configured I gotta put a word in here.

DNS setup

Ok now I got some ideas about AD. Now I am having hard time to set DNS system into my computer to run my own server, OS Win 2k. Upto now, I tried some HTTPs to get some ideas, but I found they are not same one another, giving me harder time . I tried couple of methods but failed to be shame. From other computer after I finished DNS setup including IIS, I tried to contact the default.htm in my virtual directory, I couldn't open. The Ip, DNS allocated IP was found to be alive when i pinged those. Is there any way to make certain the DNS setup is configured right?

How can I get through with this trouble? Pls give me some tips. I don't expect I could get the easiest way, BUT frankly hope that I could get reliable source, I mean web/ webs I can refer to with these matters.

I installed the firewall, and reading its manual to see if it is in the way to set up DNS. Now I found it was. Apart from of this firewall, with which I'll be able to deal with I think, I hope anyone could help me with that DNS system ONLY.

TCP/IP is succesfully configured as described in I can browse web pages in internet.

But do I need to promote server to domain controller?

And by referring to " How do I install and configure Windows 2000 DNS server? " in, I did DNS setup, And once had failed.

Still I don't have any idea the reason why I can NOT.

Time pressing me

hmm. No one till now

ok, This matter looks NOT that easy to be solved by sorta of Bulletin. Maybe hard to find where to break off to start. I understand folks. I guess some guys got through with the articles up above though, Still I don't see why there is no a even word tips.

I am gonna find another sources to deal with this matter, and gotta run into to solve this one completely.

Leaving this topic to admin's hand if to be deleted, and thinking what the loginners'll guess after they do stop by to this topic, and finding that oh boy here almost nothing to get, pertinent to the gorgeous topic...

Anyway gotta say this, Thanks to Tom only

Keith, maybe it's my bad English, but although I've read your posts a few time I simply couldn't understand what your problem was nor what you did in order to try to fix it. Could you please try to give it to us in 2 or 3 short phrases?

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

It isn't your bad english. Trust me on that one.

I had no idea either.
              "One thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse."
              -- Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Lets start off slowly...

First sum up what you want to do in a few sentences. For example
                -"I'm looking to setup DNS/AD, and run Multiple Webs from IIS."

Second Give us some insight as to what you think you have or have not done. Again try to use as many descriptive words as possible. For example.
                -"I setup DNS/AD per Daniel's KB articles... ...but I think the Firewall I have may be causing the problem."

Finnaly Give some of us some time to sort out exaclty what you are trying to say. Not every question has a quick answer or fix, again keep in mind that this is a free forum we won't get fired because we didn't respond to a post in 1 hour or less.

Keith, I'm certain (speaking for the other members on this forum) myself and others would help whoever whenever, no matter how tough the question is...

So please don't think that "we" didn't help you I believe from the few posts above mine there were several people that did not understand what you were trying to ask.
                Brad Bentley