Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i upgrade to 2k3 or do a complete install

Happy Hanukkah everyone,

I have a 2000 AD LAN with a DC, E2K, and OWA server. I am planning to upgrade or complete install to 2003 for both 2k3 server and E2K3 server. I have four brand new server to replace my current ones.
    My current schema has many problems and one of them is repication and NFTRS errors. The DC is also being used as a file server,dns and dhcp. My E2K3 is also acting as a backup DC and a catalogue server

I would like to attached a NAS device on the LAN and move the users folders and ACL's over there. Can i then i install 2k3 server on the current LAN and then make it a DC, my only concern will be the problems i currently have and i would also like to restructure my dns and DHCP on my new server. Is that viable? Or i create a totally separate forest which won't be on the LAN the over a weekend i do the switch?

Any ideas

Thanks

Chan
    Chan Weng Lou
    Mozambique

Re: Should i upgrade to 2k3 or do a complete install

Hi There,

The question you are facing now, is the question that every Sysadmin has asked himself before a system upgrade.

will it be the "easy way" of just inserting and promoting the new server (move mailbox, etc...) or the the "hard clean way" of migrating your complete domain.

my preference was always to migrate and not upgrade since allthough upgrading by itself is easier, faster and tends to cause less trouble during the process, a migration is a chance for you to "CLEAN" all the "bad habits" of your system and start all over again with a fresh new one.

of course, the process of migration is a bit more complex (trust, migrating users, computers and profiles, mailboxes, etc) but from my point of view, it's 100% worth the effort you put in to it.

if you need further assitance in planning your upgrade, i'll be more then happy to assist .
    Yaniv Feldman
    Microsoft Security Regional Director
    Microsoft Management Expert
    MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Many thanks for your valuble input yanivfel.
      I now feel a little at ease as i'm not alone.

Here is my pre planned install. As mentioned on my previous thread i currently have 3 servers. I would like to take those out and replace them with four new ones which i have already purchased.

Install 2k3 with AD following Daniel's install guide.Configure DNS and DHCP.
      Install a repilca DC and also make it a Global Catalogue Server.
      Install E2K3 server on a member 2k3 server add an additional NIC.
      Connect my NAS this one comes with 2 NICS. One NIC will connect to the LAN and the other i will connect via cross over to the 2nd NIC on the Exchange. Install ISCSI (this is a software that comes with the NAS to create a virutal disk ) This virtual disk is where the information store will be stored.
      Configure snapshots (type of incremental backup also provided by NAS)

Backup all the user data to the NAS along with ACL's.
      Install another member server as OWA also use this server to connect to an autoloader for tape backups.Configure my backups, update service packs, addtional software etc..

I would like to use ontrack power tools to move my users mailboxes over to the new one or use exmerge. My current store is corrupt...#@ so no backups..#[email protected]$
      I will install this in a lab first and over a weekend unplug my production servers and connect my new ones. Add workstations and so on.

What do you think?

In this pre planned report i would like to use it cover as much as possible for this migration because i have a feeling that the guys on our list would like to have a copy too.

I will later make a pdf and send it to you...
      Please include your email.

Please add more i must have left out a dozen items...

Thanks

Chan
      Chan Weng Lou
      Mozambique

Comment

I hear the argument of upgrade vs. migration regularly. I always ask: so now your current system is broken for reasons that you don't fully understand, otherwise you would have fixed it. How will you make sure that the future system won't be broken?

Comment

Hi,

I fully understand your point. Unfortunately i didn't install the system from ground up. It was already there. No documentation nothing......

For me to migrate makes a lot of sense in this senario because i can make sure to note down everything that is done to the servers and this will help with future upgrades and troubleshooting technics.

Thanks

Chan
          Chan Weng Lou
          Mozambique

Comment

Working...
          X