No announcement yet.

Vitualising server 2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitualising server 2003

I am having a problem which i am wondering if any guys can spare some advice.

I just join this company and found out this.
    I have an very old server(server A). Pentium 3 server (more than 10 years)? Which is currently still running in our data centre.
    The server is running a Intel Cert which cost about 10k and I cant migrate the certificate onto another server.

The server does not have any USB ports. ( so you can imagine how old is it)
    So I thought of vitualize the server.

I plug in a USB hard disk onto another server(server B) and share the ext usb drive. On server A I run the Disk2VHD and wanted to get the VHD image for hyperV but I was unable to do so.
    Error message was “Unable to create target file”
    Do you have any better suggestions other than going virtual? The server cannot be down. Or any other way of solving this problem. There is no redundancy on the current server, so i wish to solve this problem before the server goes dead.

Re: Vitualising server 2003

Did you verify that the old server could 'see' the share from server B? Just because you shared the USB drive from B doesn't mean the old server A has access rights to it.

On server B, set the USB drive Share name to 'One-Time', share perms to Full access, and the NTFS security to Everyone-Full Control. Create a text file in the root directory of that drive. Then at server A, run "\\server B\One-Time". If server A can see server B's share, Windows Explorer should open and you should see the text file. If you can, make a change and save it. Assuming that all works, then re-run Disk2VHD.

If none of the above works, is it possible to temp-connect an IDE drive inside server A to act as a local destination for the conversion to write to? Server A will HAVE to be taken down to do this, but surely a 30-minute outage can be arranged. If you need help with that process, write back.
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **