Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic Distribution:two ips for a single server with different role

Dear all;

i want to know, distributing network traffic with ips.....lets say i have win 2003 server......working as DC and File server..........i want to add two nics....one for dc traffic one for FS,,,,,,,for DC(192.168.0.100) & for FS(192.168.0.200)...
    now my question is after adding nics and given ips......how server distribute the traffic......
    if a client ping server............which will reply......?plz help

Re: Traffic Distribution:two ips for a single server with different role

Wouldn't teaming be a better alternative -- since you do not want different subnets

I have no idea if you can bind particular types of traffic to a NiC, but if you can it will probably be by IPSEC
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

because it's a DC, it will automatically register both it's IP addresses in DNS with associated hostnames.

So then it'll just be a case of round-robin dns - if a client pings "server1.domain.com" it will resolve that IP to whichever entry it matches first. This could be either 192.168.0.100 or 192.168.0.200

The next time, it might be something different.

What you're trying to do does NOT sound like a good idea. It's going to lead to all sorts of resolution problems and I highly recommend you do not do this.

if your network is large enough that you feel putting file traffic on one nic and AD traffic on another NIC is a solution to a problem, then chances are you need an entirely new server, not just a second NIC.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

thank you so much !
        i think i should avoid this .........it was just an idea......asked if someone had did this......i have to implement either in one server with one ip work as DC & FS........better will be if both configured separately........but i have limited resources and small network.......

Comment

Maybe you need to look at something like SBS as the OS then as it is designed to house all this on one device.

In saying that there is absolutely nothing stopping you from using your DC as a file server. Just remember that it will place some load on the server to do this.

Also as you have 2 NIC's then it may be beneficial to team the NIC's and make sure that your switches are configured correctly to allow for the teaming.

Comment

Working...
          X