Quickest way to remove member server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quickest way to remove member server

I need to remove a member server from our domain because I want to use the same name when I bring up the new OS on different drives and re-add.

I know I could cheat by simply deleting the server from AD, or is it just cleaner to place it back in a workgroup?

Thoughts?

Re: Quickest way to remove member server

If you will not be bringing the same server back on, just delete the account from AD.
    If you think there is any chance the previous server OS may come up, do a proper remove from domain

TBH, for the extra 2 minutes work it takes, I would do a proper move to a workgroup then delete the computer account. That way there would be no risks involved.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Quickest way to remove member server

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I'll remove it correctly, if I have to place the original disks back in and re-join, then so be it. At least I'll be clear in my head that it's been removed cleanly.

Comment

Working...
      X