Windows Installer won't shut down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Installer won't shut down

OK, this is going to be kind of convoluted, so bear with me.

On our Exchange server, someone installed the Kaspersky Exchange Security application on an H: drive, instead of to C:. The H: drive was on a SAN and was removed. Now, Windows still thinks this program is installed and Windows Installer is constantly looking for components that do not exist.

I tried reinstalling the software, but Windows won't stop the Installer service long enough for me to try. In other words, I can't install this software because Windows won't stop trying to. I tried stopping the service myself and it won't shut down. I tried stopping the msiexec.exe processes in Task Manager, but they restart before I can continue with the manual installation, which then fails because Windows sees another install going on and wants that process to complete first. Of course, it never completes, it just tries over and over and over and over.

I thought of installing this software on another server and moving the Program Files directory structure to the H: drive, but in order to do that, the target server must have Exchange installed, and I really didn't want to have to bring up an Exchange box just to fix the live one.

Sorry for the length, but to any brave souls who made it all the way through....got any ideas?

Edit: Should have mentioned this is a Windows Server 2003 Enterprise 32-bit.
    Last edited by Bertmax; 16th October 2012, 15:07.

Re: Windows Installer won't shut down

Have you set the Kaspersky services to manual stopped and check for any autorun entries for it? Have they got a manual uninstall procedure on their website too maybe?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I haven't found a manual uninstall yet, but I'm going to keep looking.

The service related to this application has been disabled for awhile. I also tried stopping all Kaspersky services to no effect. Below is an Event Viewer warning (Source: MsiInstaller, ID: 1004) showing what's happening. Keep in mind, this is the action of the OS, not the application.

"Detection of product '{F01C0959-5E12-4BB5-A4DB-506714A0EB7B}', feature 'Interface_KSE', component '{232CB9E3-B7EF-40BB-B4AC-C11CA9D2A434}' failed. The resource 'H:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Security for Microsoft Exchange Server\scm4esmtp.dll' does not exist."

Comment

Yeah I appreciate that but something will be calling that hence the OS starting the installer process.
        Honestly the best bet would be to speak to Kaspersky for removing it.
        I've had similar things where manually removing any entry in the registry that looks valid (this was for Mcafee so searched on McAfee related terms) and rebooting. This can sometimes be enough to make the app/OS think it has gone, then a fresh install overwrites everything else. Of course there are inherent risks with that.

You could search for that dll file in the registry and see if any of the locations look like service/autorun options and delete the entry. It may be enough to stop this specific issue (although you may get another one after that )
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Well, I don't know what was calling it, as there were no Kaspersky services/processes running, but I was able to fix the problem. I used Microsoft's Fix It portable program to "uninstall" the program, which required a little follow-up work in the registry (it was still looking for "Interface_KSE"), but the problem is now gone. Thanks for the response.

Comment

Working...
          X