This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win Servr 2K3 SE <<<--- next OS!

i'm using Win Server 2003 Standard Edition as my OS and on it's 32-bits. and my current PC specs are as follows:

Asus P5KPL AM EPU motherboard

Pentium Dual Core E5500 @ 2.80GHz CPU

2G RAM memory

1G memory NVIDIA video card

Ultra ATA/133 RAID Controller card

D-Link LAN card

now my questions is i'm planning to transfer or migrate to the next level of OS as i understand that the support for Win Server 2003 Standard Edition will also be winding down just like Win XP

so what will be my next OS then? any suggestions ... i mean it should compliment also with my current hard specs. otherwise, it will be too slow. in fact, i was told that using Win Server 2008 64-bits OS will really be like crawling as an actual worm (lol)

cheers!

Re: Win Servr 2K3 SE &lt;&lt;&lt;--- next OS!

If you want the next OS for the system you are running then Server 2008 comes in 32 bit flavour.

Once you go to Server 2008 R2 then you need to use a 64 bit system as that is all it comes in.

In you case i would increase the RAM to as much as you can afford and your motherboard can handle. Your CPU is already x64 capable.

I've had Server 2008 R2 running on a system with 512MB ram and 40GB HDD and it was fine. A lot will depend on what you are using the system for.

Comment

With Server 2008 and R2 you can use the Server Core edition if your hardware is not up to the GUI, but a 1GB Graphics card is more than sufficient (32Mb is plenty for a server!)

Given the apparent age of your hardware, look at a complete refresh (MoBo, Processor, RAM) to something quad core and support for 8 or 16Gb

As asked, what will the server have to do?

Also note, there is no upgrade path from 32 to 64 bit -- only format and reinstall.

I take it this is not an operational server, more a server as a workstation?
      What drives does it have?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        With Server 2008 and R2 you can use the Server Core edition if your hardware is not up to the GUI, but a 1GB Graphics card is more than sufficient (32Mb is plenty for a server!)

Given the apparent age of your hardware, look at a complete refresh (MoBo, Processor, RAM) to something quad core and support for 8 or 16Gb

As asked, what will the server have to do?

Also note, there is no upgrade path from 32 to 64 bit -- only format and reinstall.

I take it this is not an operational server, more a server as a workstation?
        What drives does it have?

hello Ossian, as well, to you wullieb1

and yes, your right Ossian that my unit is not an operational server but function much as a workstation (lol)

however, i initially installed Win Server 2003 Standard Edition since i'm learning Active Directory and about also Domain Controller which somehow i'm sure i can use if i go into SysAd tasks

any way, you mean Ossian that theirs a Win Server 2008 R2 that is Server Core Edition?

but looks like my hardware is capable of Win Server 2008 32-bit as what wullieb1 says. these is really good to know

so do i have to migrate directly to Win Server 2008 R2 Edition 64-bit through reformat and install?? i really thought that i can just run the installation disk also through Control Panel Add/Remove Programs features

thanks really for keeping an update of my thread. as far as i know, the last time i post in here was way back 2009 before my post now ... it's always nice to be back

cheers!

Comment

To migrate from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS will require a format and re-install.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            To migrate from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS will require a format and re-install.

hi wullieb1

i'm only planning to migrate from Win Server 2003 Standard Edition 32-bit to Win Server 2008 and still 32-bit?

in fact, as i said earlier also here in my post that i'm wondering if theirs also a version such as Win Server 2008 Standard Edition, as well, a R2 (if any)??

or does Win Server 2008 is a plain server that has it all already and no more specific versions like it can be enterprise, standard, corporate, SBS, and the likes?

i'm really confuse up to now as the days is fast approaching and i'm already into 19-days Left for Activation

cheers!

Comment

Windows Server 2008 does indeed come in Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter flavours.

Upgrading to Server 2008 from Server 2003 is an option.

R2 is a different product.

Comment

Windows Server 2008 does indeed come in Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter flavours.

Upgrading to Server 2008 from Server 2003 is an option.

R2 is a different product.

hello wullieb1

how come theirs a version Win Server 2008 R2 so i thought also that theirs like version perhaps such as Win Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition 32-bit?

i know that i sounds different now and this is not directly related to my intended plan to install. i'm just curious and interested to know

cheers!

Comment

There is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter but all flavours come in 64 bit only.

Remember R2 is NOT the same product.

Comment

There is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter but all flavours come in 64 bit only.

Remember R2 is NOT the same product.

hi wullieb1

and when you said that " ... R2 is NOT the same product ... ", does it mean that it's a plain Win Server 2008 R2 and much more different than the much more specific Win Server Standard Edition (if theirs any)?

besides, are they really isn't version of Win Server 2008 Standard Edition 32-bit? i'm almost certain that if ever theirs any of this kind of release then i'll go for it

but hoping you can give me more insights as i know that you are more experienced than myself when it comes to this matter

cheers!

Comment

Server 2008 R2 (ANY EDITION) is ONLY available as a 64-bit operating system.
                      There is no 32-bit version

Server 2008 (NOT R2) was the last 32-bit server operating system Microsoft released
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                        Server 2008 R2 (ANY EDITION) is ONLY available as a 64-bit operating system.
                        There is no 32-bit version

Server 2008 (NOT R2) was the last 32-bit server operating system Microsoft released

hi Ossian

so after my Win Server 2003 Standard Edition 32-bit, what will be my next advisable upgrade then that is still in 32-bit norms and server based?

hope you can share or much possible lead the way with due considerations also with the hardware side as my unit is not that brand new nor it's obsolate or phaseout model (lol)

cheers!

Comment

***SIGH***

Have you actually read any of this thread???

Your next and only step is to install Server 2008 Standard 32bit.

Isn't that what the past 11 threads have been about.

Comment

***SIGH***

Have you actually read any of this thread???

Your next and only step is to install Server 2008 Standard 32bit.

Isn't that what the past 11 threads have been about.

hello wullieb1

and yes, i've read all the posts that's been replied to this thread. but please don't be get frustrated on me

i just want to make sure since i'll be using again those "free" download from torrents and perhaps if i'll get mistake or error during or along the installation process, it will require me to contact or reach Microsoft which i doubt i can do so

likewise, i'm not or didn't follow through all the latest and current releases of Microsoft servers so good thing theirs this kind of forum that i can ask and guide me through all the way

any way, i'm almost done with my download now so wish me luck

cheers!

Comment

Lets make another thing clear -- this site does not in any way condone software piracy.
                              If you had mentioned that early in the thread, you would NOT have had any help from us.

As a member for 3 years, you should know all this already - if not, read the forum rules during the two week ban you are getting. If another mod or admin chooses to make it permanent, I won't argue at all.

This thread is now locked, and will stay locked.
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X