No announcement yet.

2003 Server Ntbackup "media not found" error

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Server Ntbackup "media not found" error

Hi guys,

I am using NTBackup to do a scheduled backup of a few files and folders on our windows 2003 server.I am not backing up to a tape drive, I use a script to map a network drive 10 minutes before the backup is scheduled to begin.
    I can do the backup manually, where i map the network drive and run ntbackup. However, the backup always fails with the following error if I schedule it to run later.

Backup Status
    The operation was not performed because the specified media cannot be found.

Here is the procedure I follow when i do the backup.

1. Map the Network drive (script file)
    2. Run NTBackup and backup files and folders to the mapped drive. (Scheduler)
    3. Remove the Network drive when backup finishes (Script file)

The strange thing is, I use the same prodedure on our windows 2000 server and it is able to schedule the backup and complete it. it only fails on my windows 2003 server.

Its a
    micorsoft Windows 2003 server
    standard edition
    with service pack 1

If anybody can help me out i would appreciate it greatly, and if I am too vague in my description please tell me.

thank you,

Re: 2003 Server Ntbackup "media not found" error

Try to disable shadow copy via NTBACKUP options. I dont think that using
    NTBACKUP for remote files backup is a good idea.
    It would be more wise to buy a backup software...
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog:

put the destination to be the local hdd and not the network drive.

Then have a batch script that runs after the backup is completed and copys the local hdd backup to the network drive.

Thanks I am doing that right now.

I found out that in order to execute the script to map the network drive I had to be logged into the computer. I can't run it as a scheduled service. The scheduler will execute the script but the drive will not be mapped. however if I am logged in the scheduler will execute the scirpt and the drive will be mapped. all my other scripts are able to execute through the scheduler just fine though, its only the network map script that seems to not work.

This is what the script looks like

Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
        objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "X:", "\\serverAddress\Folder"

do you know a work around for this problem

Thanks in advance.