• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 (newbie) a few q's

Hi everyone. just like to say what a great site this is and a great forum

Right. I work for a small accountants.
    10-20 staff using PC's daily.
    Ive just set up windows 2003 server with ad and everyone logs into the domain.

I would like to set up the server for VPN so that some staff can access the server files from client offices over the internet.
    What would i need to do this?

When i set the server DNS name up i just used companyname.office
    If this server gets connected to the internet will i need to change this domain name? to something registered on the internet or can you name your domain anything?

And finally could someone help me understand how to make a script so that when user log on to domain. it runs a few things like. setting up networked drives, group policies - restricting access to certain things (like settings). A script to allow user settings in outlook to be sent to local machine at logon.(ive set up roaming profiles)
    Also is there a way so that users have there own space (drive/partition) on the server that they can access for personal use. eg U: drive

I know this is alot to ask but i think ive learnt quite a bit in 3 weeks from not knowing anything about 2003 server then setting it up and doing what i have

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me

Re: Server 2003 (newbie) a few q's

Originally posted by houckham
    I would like to set up the server for VPN so that some staff can access the server files from client offices over the internet.
    What would i need to do this?
    You don't need any software you can use Windows' built-in solution to acheive this goal.

You will need to install the Remote Access module if you haven't already and set it up.

When i set the server DNS name up i just used companyname.office
    If this server gets connected to the internet will i need to change this domain name? to something registered on the internet or can you name your domain anything?
    Yes you'll need to make sure you use a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) if you plan on hosting any type of web services like email or webpages. Read this then this to understand why. You might have problems in the future because it's not an FQDN so I suggest fixing it asap.

And finally could someone help me understand how to make a script so that when user log on to domain. it runs a few things like. setting up networked drives, group policies - restricting access to certain things (like settings). A script to allow user settings in outlook to be sent to local machine at logon.(ive set up roaming profiles)
    Also is there a way so that users have there own space (drive/partition) on the server that they can access for personal use. eg U: drive
    That's a lot to cover in one message. Perhaps others will chime in to help on how-to write login scripts. I don't have time to cover it right now.

You can control some of the things you mentioned by using the group policy editor. You'll need to take a look at it and determine what is of use to you. start->run->gpedit.msc

You've already set up roaming profiles for which you should have created a home folder. You can use a quota to limit drive space and permissions to limit access.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

for scripting questions, please post it in the right forum..
      tell there what you're script needed to doo...
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

thanx for your help

Comment

Working...
        X