Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of First 2003 DC EFS

Hi

Just wanted to make sure, i'm not going to kill my domain, when I dcpromo out the first dc for my domain.

I've been migrating to 2008r2 from 2003, at the moment I have 2 * 2008r2(both GC,DNS,) one of which holds FSMO. I still have the original/first 2003 dc in this setup, but want to remove active directory from it.

Should I be concerned with EFS.......... As far as I'm aware this server holds Recovery Agent stuff, none of the users have encrypted any documents.

If this 2003 dc is demoted will this have any adverse effects on active directory stuff..... logon, shares, dc replication, or exchange.

!!!Update!!! I've exported the efs key from Certificates(mmc) My account...etc etc........
    Regards
    Mark
    Last edited by MarkJones; 13th August 2012, 11:35.

Re: Removal of First 2003 DC EFS

As long as you have another DC in place and it has fully replicated, you should not have issues, but you seem to have taken care of any doubts by exporting the EFS Recovery Agent key (and are - I'm sure - keeping it in a very safe place)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X