Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Imaging a Server 2003 - Best program (Open-Source/Third Party)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imaging a Server 2003 - Best program (Open-Source/Third Party)

We are thinking of about backing up our servers with Drive Image XML

It mentions that it can hot image using VSS. Do you think it is safe to use for a DC server? Do you currently back-up your servers with this software or other third party/bundled tools or just you didn't trust this software? Kindly advise for the best solution for this or backup alike. (Disaster Policy)

Hope for your kind consideration regarding this.

NOTE:
    a Disaster Recovery plan is what we've planning, kindly also advise.

Thanks for all the help regarding this.

Re: Imaging a Server 2003 - Best program (Open-Source/Third Party)

IMO Imaging a DC is utterly pointless, unless you only have one. Build a new one, DCPromo it and let it replicate.

I don't trust imaging solutions for anything other than quick deployment of OSs, they generally aren't application aware so you can't (properly) backup Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint etc with them.

If time to restore is a big issue, I'd build a WDS Server with a base Server 2003 image and configure unattended install. You'll be able to deploy servers in 30 minutes or less, and have a DC in under an hour.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I would avoid DC imaging at the moment although the new 2012 server is built to cope with it.
      It is best to backup all DCs using a suitable product for DR of the domain/forest but for a single server failure it is usually best to just rebuild as Cruachan says.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
        IMO Imaging a DC is utterly pointless, unless you only have one. Build a new one, DCPromo it and let it replicate.

I don't trust imaging solutions for anything other than quick deployment of OSs, they generally aren't application aware so you can't (properly) backup Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint etc with them.

If time to restore is a big issue, I'd build a WDS Server with a base Server 2003 image and configure unattended install. You'll be able to deploy servers in 30 minutes or less, and have a DC in under an hour.
        Thanks for the advise cruachan, I'll still need to work with the WDS with my manager...any other options that would suffice this? kindly advise also thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          I would avoid DC imaging at the moment although the new 2012 server is built to cope with it.
          It is best to backup all DCs using a suitable product for DR of the domain/forest but for a single server failure it is usually best to just rebuild as Cruachan says.
          Hi Andy, is it ok if you suggest for a DR regarding this...any thoughts about this also, thanks.

Comment

You mean a suitable product?
            We use Quest's RMAD which is just a fancy front end to windows backup but there are plugins for netbackup, backupexec etc. Most products will tell you if they support AD or not.
            Just make sure to test them
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
              You mean a suitable product?
              We use Quest's RMAD which is just a fancy front end to windows backup but there are plugins for netbackup, backupexec etc. Most products will tell you if they support AD or not.
              Just make sure to test them
              Thanks for the great help guys, also for you Andy

We'll make sure to test all this out before encouraging it to my superiors

Comment

Working...
              X