MMC cannot open dsa.msc so I cannot access the Active Directory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMC cannot open dsa.msc so I cannot access the Active Directory

I am using remote desktop to control the Admn account on the Windows Server 2003 SP2. However when I try and access the Active directory, I recieve the error" MMC cannot open the file C:\Windows\System32\dsa.msc." and then it says it may be due to the file not existing or created by a later version of MMC or I might not have the right access rights. I Have tried reinstalling Adminpak.msi and the last thing I tried to do was add a group policy to deploy chrome for business. At this point it was working. I have a feeling a recent update may have caused this issue but I'm not sure. Can anyone suggest what to do? Im new to this so I'm running short on ideas. I should say it was running SP2 last night, it wasnt upgraded to SP2 overnight.
    Last edited by arjun; 4th July 2012, 12:37. Reason: clarification.

Re: MMC cannot open dsa.msc so I cannot access the Active Directory

Does the file exist? Furthermore, have you tested by loading a snap-in manually into a custome one using MMC from the Run box?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      Does the file exist? Furthermore, have you tested by loading a snap-in manually into a custome one using MMC from the Run box?
      the file exists and I just tried loading a snap-in manually and that worked which is good. How do I get it working normally though?

Comment

There are perhaps cached settings still causing the problem. Have you tested using another admin account on that server?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
          There are perhaps cached settings still causing the problem. Have you tested using another admin account on that server?
          I dont have access to another admin account, should I create one? If so, is there anything i should be aware of when creating a new admin account in order to access the MMC?

Comment

sorry I'm being overly cautious, I tried it with another administrator account that i just created and this worked. It must be a cache issue as you suggested. How can I correct this?
            Last edited by arjun; 4th July 2012, 13:48. Reason: clarification

Comment

Delete your profile?
              (a bit drastic, but it will work)
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Delete your profile?
                (a bit drastic, but it will work)
                I want to reserve that as a last resort seeing as its the main admin account and i want to ensure that the new profile can access all the right objects.

Comment

Do some research into where cached settings get stored for DSA.msc and other tools and then perhaps a case of just deleting that.

Comment

Working...
                  X