Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wsus 3.0 SP2 , while Win 2000 Domain Controller exists

Dear Experts,

We have One DC in our environment running Win 2000 with SP4. Recently we plan to introduce Wsus 3.0 with SP2 in our environment for updates specially for clients.

Also we have plan to upgrade our AD structure to Win 2008 R2 64 bit. There are two choices now:

- in current environment with Win 2000 DC in place, install Win 2003 with SP2 on a new machine and make it a member server of Win 2000. Then install Wsus 3.0 with sp2 on newly installed Win 2003 SP2 server

- the other choice is to wait and first upgrade the AD infrastructure to Win 2008 R2 64 bit, demote the Win 2000 DC, on a new server install Win 2008 R2 make it a member server of new DC ( which will be now Win 2008 R2) and proceed with Wsus.

I need to know which choice is better, shall we go with wsus with Win 2000 DC or wait for second choice, I need some convincing answer to propose to my senior management that second choice is better to avoid any problems. By they way choice 1 is possible OR not?

Kind Regards

Re: Wsus 3.0 SP2 , while Win 2000 Domain Controller exists

AFAIK WSUS is not limited by the DC you are running (although it cannot be installed on Windows 2000 - wrong IIS version)

To make full use of it, you may need to extend Group Policies with the correct Admin Template for WSUS ( is your friend here)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah, the DC won't really make a difference. For a long time I was running WSUS on a 2008 box when our DCs were all 2003 with no problems. Of course, it'd be a good idea to upgrade your DC anyway, since 2000 has long passed end-of-life and there are no more updates for it.

Comment

Dear All,

I installed Wsus 3.0 with sp2 on Win 2003 R2 std. with sp2. The DC is Windows 2000 like I mentioned in my original post.

Now to populate the clients under wsus, I have created a group Windows7, now as per guide I am following:

http://araihan.wordpress.com/2009/08...-step-by-step/

also see attached pictures, how can I get this in Windows 2000 ? Because what I understand after this GPO the clients will populate to the group Windows 7.

Waiting for your responses.

Thanks,
        Attached Files

Comment

You may need to import a WSUS ADM template into your group policy then you should have the settings available to use

It appears your images are taken from the link you posted -- you just do the same in your AD environment (or ask your domain admin to do it)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X