Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to join an inactive 2003 server to a domain.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to join an inactive 2003 server to a domain.

The company that I work for just acquired a new company, along with 2 workstations came a 2003 server that was joined to a domain, I need to join it to our domain but it will not let me because it was a DC and when I try to change the doamin it is grayed out and warns me that a DC can not be joined to our domain, do I simply use the dcpromo command?

Thanks

Re: Need to join an inactive 2003 server to a domain.

Yes.

If the existing server is demoted as a DC then your users on the other site will not be able to logon to that domain anymore.

Comment

They don't need to, that company and it's users are no longer in business, this server just has software on it that needs to remain onit, I'm just trying to join it to our domain so it can be accessed.

Thanks

Comment

No worries.

I'd be checking to see if there were any service accounts that the software required before dcpromoing the machine.

Other than that if your happy to remove from the domain then all you need to do is DCPROMO and remove or destroy that domain then add as a member server to yours.

Comment

Since you have a password for the server, you should (warning, make a backup first just in case...) be able to:
          Log on as (old) domain administrator
          DCPROMO and select last DC in domain
          Put in same password as local administrator
          Disjoin from old domain to workgroup
          Join new domain

Obviously test the app after each stage and be prepared to roll back
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X