Windows 2003 loses Internet on NIC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 loses Internet on NIC

Folks…..I’m at my wits end!!! We are basically a Windows 2000 server shop (ain’t broke, don’t fix it!). We do, however, have two Windows 2003 servers and they are the sources of my headache.

Server A (Dell) was purchased as a web server box. We were very happy with it except periodically/randomly it would loose access to the Internet. OK, some configuration details.

The server had two NICs, one (NIC A) on a 10.0.0.* network working through a Cisco 2600 box to provide access to the Internet, ie our outside IP addresses were mapped to each server by the Cisco 2600. The second NIC (NIC B) was on the 172.16.0.* via a SonicWall router/firewall box to provide VPN access to this (and all the rest) server for maintenance, etc.

This is basically how all the rest of our Windows 2000 servers are configured.

As I said above this particular Windows 2003 server box would randomly (as far as we could determine) lose Internet access on NIC A. Internally NIC A was working as all of the shares, etc on this Windows 2003 box were available. However, from the outside/Internet the box was unavailable. The solution was to disable&enable (ie Repair) NIC A.

We put up with is situation for over a year before giving up. (We changed NIC’s, Ethernet cables, internal IP addresses, …) Finally, we built a FreeBSD box and moved those webs to it. It has been working flawless for several years now. That Windows 2003 Server (which we assumed had some sort of physical or mental problem) was basically retired and used to test new code internally.

Last January we built a new box to replace a Windows 2000 server which was having “old age”/hardware issues. We installed Windows 2003 server (new install disk and different license than used above) and configured it like all the rest – NIC A 10.0.0.* and NIC B 172.16.0.*.

It has the same “gosh-darn” issues with the 10.0.0.* NIC. Randomly outside access to this server is lost and we have to disable&enable it manually to get it back online.

Please note that none of the other (Windows 2000 servers) exhibit this problem. The NIC B, 172.16.0.* network (SonicWall) always works. Can anyone comment on this issue? Ideas? Solutions?

We saw this thread Windows server 2003 periodically loses network connectivity (this forum number 20892) but it did not match or situation or provide any help

Thanks….RDK45

Re: Windows 2003 loses Internet on NIC

I can't think of why this would happen. What is weird is that the internal network is still available. If you determine the cause\solution it would be great if you could post.

In the meantime, as a work-around, how about scheduling the automatic disable/enable of the NIC? Schedule it for once a day or whatever is suitable.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network...rol-Lite.shtml
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Sounds daft but try upgrading your NIC drivers to the latest available.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

We have changed NIC's (onboard to the motherboard and well as new PCix cards). Latest drivers. Changed internal IP addresses. ETC!!

Really bugs us. Any chance it might have something to do with the Cisco 2600 and Windows 2003? Yes, I grasping at straws.....RDK

Comment

Some instances of auto-negotiation of NIC connection speeds and duplex status don't always work. To fix it, you bounce the NIC. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

In your Cisco, manually set the speed to it's highest possible value that both it and the NIC can run at, and duplex to full, then set the server NIC properties to the same. Then do a shutdown and no shutdown of the Cisco port to reset it.

Wait and see.
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
            Some instances of auto-negotiation of NIC connection speeds and duplex status don't always work. To fix it, you bounce the NIC. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

In your Cisco, manually set the speed to it's highest possible value that both it and the NIC can run at, and duplex to full, then set the server NIC properties to the same. Then do a shutdown and no shutdown of the Cisco port to reset it.

Wait and see.
            To the OP.

This is probably your next test step IMO. Just what i was going to reply lol.

The 2600's from memory only have 10/100MB ports. So try adding these

Speed 100
            Duplex Full

to the relevant port.

Comment

Thanks for the thought. We saw this on another post so the NIC was set to 100 MB and Full duplex.

We are looking at the Cisco 2600 to verify how it is configuered.

Are we having fun yet?.....RDK

Comment

Working...
              X