old user profiles after server reinstallation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old user profiles after server reinstallation

Is there a way that will save my time with the user profiles after i have reinstalled the server?

I know its relatively easy to copy the profile and paste it into the new, but it still takes time and the cristmas is coming and all...

Any ideas?

Re: old user profiles after server reinstallation

We need more information.

Are you talking about local profiles on the server or all your users profiles ? Do you use roaming profiles then ?

What server are you reinstalling ? Is it a DC or just member server ? SBS ?

With the small info you have given us we can't help you.

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Sorry for the small amount of information, here is more.

I'm using sbs2003 and i'm talking about Active Directory, domain users. Because ssid i have a feeling that after the new installation if i log the users to domain their desktops, Outlook Express folders and so on, are in that old username even the username is the old one.

Comment

So you are completely getting rid of your old domain and starting again from the start ?

Why not create the new domain and migrate your users (with SIDhistory), then

a) you don't need to worry about profiles.
        b) you don't have to create all new users.
        c) migrate the computers and you don't have to go round each one again to add onto the new domain.
        d) you won't have to re-setup any permissions on your file server.

The list is endless !!!

topper

Comment

Topper!
          Plz give more info about these steps which you mention.
          I have Win03 as DC,users with Roaming Profile,Profile Files are stored on this server.Sometimes it's usefull to reinstall Windows 4 speed up.
          after setup I want to reuse the previuos usernames.Any thing else except LDIDFE command.

Comment

Well for starters I would never reinstall an OS to "speed it up".

If you need to do that to a DC you are installign way too much crap on it.

As for the migration, if you don't want to just restore a backup to retain all your users etc (which may bring your performance issues back with it). Then you would need to implement a 2nd DC for hold your AD info.

Also check out ADMT (v 3 is out now isn't it ?)

topper.

Comment

Originally posted by S2002
              Topper!
              Plz give more info about these steps which you mention.
              I have Win03 as DC,users with Roaming Profile,Profile Files are stored on this server.Sometimes it's usefull to reinstall Windows 4 speed up.
              after setup I want to reuse the previuos usernames.Any thing else except LDIDFE command.
              This is why you have 2 DC's in your network m8. Fault tolerance and if you ever need to rebulid a server then the other server holds a copy of the AD database.

Comment

Well for starters I would never reinstall an OS to "speed it up".

topper!!
                then what do professionals do for "speed it up".?

wullieb1!!
                when using the 2nd AD.Does it OK with SID.
                how should I configure the 2nd one?should I configure It as Backup DC working with the main DC?

Regards,

Comment

AD is multimaster, you don't have Primary\Backup DC's any more. (although yes I know all about the PDC emulator before any smart ass mentions it).

The 2nd DC will hold a read\write copy of AD, all SID's will be intact, (would not be much point if they weren't!!).

As for speed up...........we don't, I have never got into the position where I felt a DC was running slowly and needed a rebuild to cure.

The only reason is should get "slow" is due to software being installed\uninstalled. The only changes to the OS on a DC should be software patches\fixes.

topper

Comment

Originally posted by topper
                    AD is multimaster, you don't have Primary\Backup DC's any more. (although yes I know all about the PDC emulator before any smart ass mentions it).

The 2nd DC will hold a read\write copy of AD, all SID's will be intact, (would not be much point if they weren't!!).

As for speed up...........we don't, I have never got into the position where I felt a DC was running slowly and needed a rebuild to cure.

The only reason is should get "slow" is due to software being installed\uninstalled. The only changes to the OS on a DC should be software patches\fixes.

topper

Exactly.

PDC's and BDC's hark back to the old NT4 days. Since Windows 2000 and AD was introduced it has been set that each DC holds a writeable copy of the AD database (NTDS.DIT). This is also called multi-master.

If your main DC goes pear shaped then you sieze the roles held by the first DC on the second DC.

FSMO Roles - http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/w2k3/W2K3_FSMO.htm

Comment

Working...
                    X