No announcement yet.

Logging remote server reboot via VPN?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logging remote server reboot via VPN?

i have a server with 10.series ip address. one of our employee connected with remotly and restarted. how to know how is restarted along with ip address and user id. thanks

Re: how to know

Sorry, but I'm afraid that doesnt make any sense to me.

You have a remote employee connecting using a VPN
    You want to know if he restarted his PC and if he did, what IP address (local or remote) and user ID he used to log on?

How are you handling the VPN?
    Is any logging enabled?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: how to know

i am not asked properly

i have a vpn. my employee connected throw vpn and restarted server. i want that employee system details i.e. ip address and employee no details

Re: Logging remote server reboot via VPN?

Any address that starts with 10.... is a private address that can't be accessed directly across the internet. This suggests a VPN tunnel across the Internet. Is that right? If so, look at the device which allows the VPN tunnel. What device is it, and how much logging is turned on now? And have you looked at those logs?

You might look at the system event log on the server itself. Depending on the logging set, a shutdown should at least give you the username that commanded the shutdown. That would also give you date/time. Compare that with any VPN logs and you may get the ip of the other end.

If none of this is any help, we can't advise further until we know more about your setup. Please describe your network(s) in more detail.
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **