Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Server Not Responding

Hi,

There was a thread started in 2007 that covered this topic before but its now closed and there wasn't a conclusive solution mentioned. (thread 14628)

I've been having the exact same symptons on a customer's SBS 2003.
    DNS just suddenly stops responding after a random number of hours or days. It doesn't return any results but it doesn't pass on to the forwarders. It just times out. NSLOOKUP also times out. There's nothing in the DNS Eventlog either.

Restarting the service fixes it for a while so I've got a script restarting it every 3 hours but that's not a good solution and it can go wrong anytime in the 3 hours.

Does anyone know what causes this? I've read elsewhere that 2003 and 2008 Server DNS has this symptom sometimes but no useful answers offered anywhere.

Re: DNS Server Not Responding

What is in the other event logs?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: DNS Server Not Responding

I would also run sfc /scannow and see if that identifies any problem files and replaces them.

Have you also tried what was suggested in that thread and uninstalled and reinstalled DNS (after documenting all settings)?
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
      X