No announcement yet.

DHCP and Static IP

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP and Static IP

Wondering why one would want to use a DHCP and static IP address at the same time?

Re: DHCP and Static IP

Servers, printers, switches need to have a static IP. Imaging a server that has a constantly changing IP. If it was a DNS server, your network would be cactus. DHCP assigned IPs can change for each machine depending on the lease time. Workstations can have a dynamic IP assigned by DHCP. Do you really want to go round a large network and and change 100, 200, 3000 machine's IP settings. Hell, I don't want to do 5 machines. Also remember that each machine has:
    Subnet Mask
    Default Gateway (maybe several)
    DNS (maybe several)
    WINS (possibly)
    and multiply that by the number of machines you have to change. Might be a good way to rack up the overtime.

If you like reading.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Re: DHCP and Static IP

Setting up and maintaining a DHCP scope is a alot easier than having to trawl round machines entering the required info into the TCP/ip properties.

As biggles has said the only things that need static IP's are things like servers, routers, printers and switches.

The tracking of static IP's can also be a nightmare. Can you imagine a machine going down and having to find an IP from a list, and if that list is nearly full then its like a needle in a haystack. Trust me this is a pain in the ass cause i've been there.