Differences between power button and windows shutdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between power button and windows shutdown

I am currently running Windows 2000 pro.
    At new install of w2k the windows shutdown took about 10sec, now some months later it takes about 30sec and yet with the power button it only takes about 5sec.
    Where is the difference ? I tried google and the search of this site but found nothing.

Shutting down depends on the number of tasks running, so over time these increase (a good reason for a reformat / reinstall every few months)

Shutting down with the power button switches off power after holding it for a few seconds so everything gets killed painfully. This can cause problems when you restart so it is better to shut down by power button only when all else has failed

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

APM... Advanced Power Management

Niffty feature finnaly added in Windows98...

I'm @ a customers right now so that's all the help I can give ya.
      Brad Bentley

Comment

APM + Power button shutsdown gracefully

He might be referring to windows shutting down when pressing the power button once (not holding it down). It's the same as clicking start->shut down->turn off computer.

Windows allows applications to close gracefully while APM forces them to close.

They essentially do the same thing.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I am referring to windows shutting down when pressing the power button once.

Thanks for the qiuck respons.

Comment

Does the power button "hibernate" your PC?
            Saves all the RAM to HDD and then switches off, so the applications and processes don't really "shut down"?

Tom
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Power Button

The default behavior for the power button is power off, unless otherwise changed.

I can see why you would question about hibernation though.
              Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

@Ossian

The power button is set in APM in W2k at Power Off.
                But it is the big difference beteen the various shut down modes that made me ask this question.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
                  Shutting down depends on the number of tasks running, so over time these increase (a good reason for a reformat / reinstall every few months)
                  Tom
                  You gotta be kidding me...
                  You really advise people to reformat or reinstall often?

Why not just keep the computer clean? Keep an eye on the crap that gets put on, clean the registry with a free registry cleaner (reg shot?), use ad-aware or spybot, defrag, and use www.free-av.com for decent virus protection.
                  You shouldn't have much stuff running if you take care of your computer in the most basic form possible.
                  "One thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse."
                  -- Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Comment

Guys, Guys, don't start a war on my "silly" question.

@captaincrunch00

I am very aware of the dangers of the crap that can get on my pc and I keep a "clean ship", I even instruct my children to evoke the same discipline I use in matters of getting something of the internet, knowing the dangers of getting something from the net I don't want on my pc.

Also it is not the first time I reinstalled my W2k to eliminate dirt on my system

Comment

Also not wanting to start a war....

A lot of these things are a matter of personal taste and professional judgement.

In my main role (IT consultant) I get called in to a lot of existing networks where there has been little management and control in the past. Very often I find applications that should not be there, failed installs (e.g. Acrobat 5 installed over Acrobat 6) and generally large amounts of dross on the systems.

At this stage I have very little I can do except the clean setup and I often image a good, working, clean system with all the apps etc. needed by the client. In the event of later problems it is often easier (=cheaper for the client) to restore the image and update patches rather than fix whatever problem an untrained user has caused. (btw -- 9 times out of 10 my recommendation of some proactive user training gets rejected on cost grounds, although I keep pointing out it will save money later on.)

CaptainCrunch -- I agree with your theory, but the reality is often very different! Most users cannot/will not think before they do something, and the results are often unbelievable.

My own systems are an exception -- if I want to test new applications I use VirtualPC and make a point of dumping it on a regular basis. Anything for permanent use gets tested on a VPC equivalent to the main one before the final install on the 'real' PC. As a result my main systems have been unchanged (except for OS upgrades) for more than 3 years now.

Just my 0.02 worth...

Tom
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Sounds as though you may have a running process from something you have installed which is just taking its time to shutdown.

As Ossian said, overtime the PC operating system just accumulates poop!

Mine currently takes about 10 seconds to start and about 60 secs to shutdown.

Cheers.

If at first you dont succeed, Google it!

Comment

Working...
                        X