How to Publish Applications In 2003 SP1 Terminal Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Publish Applications In 2003 SP1 Terminal Server

I know that Terminal Server 2008 can publish Applications by creating RDP,MSI installer files so that when the user on client computer double clicks on a shortcut on their client computer, it can launch the application. Can someone please provide any guidence,reading that helps to understand how to publish applications on 2003 sp1 Terminal Server so that when the user clicks on shortcut on their client desktop,it launches the application.Please guide.Any article?Any Insight is appreciated

Thanks

Re: How to Publish Applications In 2003 SP1 Terminal Server

TS in Windows Server 2003 doesn't have that capability.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      TS in Windows Server 2003 doesn't have that capability.
      Untill today I also thought so but yes, it does have that capability it has been guarunteed by a consultant.I wonder how??!!. I can only think of start an application on logon setting .But don't see anything to publish application so users can double click on shortcuts on their client it and it will launch application (just like rdp,msi in server2008 or something matching)

Comment

I suspect you are right -- an RDP file with "launch application at startup" specified
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well technically speaking, that's not a published application.

For W2K3 TS you'd have to create an RDP shortcut for every program that you want the user to run and you'd have to specifiy the program in the "start the following program on connection" setting in each RDP shortcut for each program.

That's not a published application but it does work. The thing I'm not sure of is whether each application runs in a separate TS session (I believe it does) or in one TS session (I don't believe so). So you'd likely have a separate TS session for each user for each application that they're running, which could be a drain on resources and could present some licensing challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            Well technically speaking, that's not a published application.

For W2K3 TS you'd have to create an RDP shortcut for every program that you want the user to run and you'd have to specifiy the program in the "start the following program on connection" setting in each RDP shortcut for each program.

That's not a published application but it does work. The thing I'm not sure of is whether each application runs in a separate TS session (I believe it does) or in one TS session (I don't believe so). So you'd likely have a separate TS session for each user for each application that they're running, which could be a drain on resources and could present some licensing challenges.
            yes, but I had already suggested that "start the following program on logon", I didn't get any response so I think that is not it. but for TS license We here every user sometime use different computers.If we go with per user license then license will not be problem but yes,I have my doubts whether it will be single session or multiple session draining the resource.But that consultant is a Genius and MVP.So I will update what he does

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              I suspect you are right -- an RDP file with "launch application at startup" specified

I have put for my test purpose say office on terminal sever and saved a mstsc rdp file on client windows 7 and put its path in setting start following program on connection,and it does work.And the consultant also meant the same thing,just what I was thinking. Well.Job accomplished
              Last edited by naubahi; 19th May 2012, 05:58.

Comment

You can try Remote Application Center on MQTechnologies website
                [MOD EDIT] Since this is a free tool, this post (and the poster) can live, but in general we frown upon people joining and advertising with their very first post [/MOD EDIT]

[Another Mod Edit]The tool says Server 2008, not Server 2003 [/Edit]
                Last edited by Ossian; 14th July 2012, 08:23.

Comment

The program is compatible with Windows 2000/2003 and 2008. With Windows 2008 especially, the Remote Desktop Service must be enabled (the real Terminal Services, not Remote Desktop Connection for Administration).

And yes, this tool is always freeware since longtime ago and this is not for commercial ads, it may be helpful for someone who looks for a cheap alternative solution.

Althrough this program is freeware, it has some important features that either Windows 2008 doesn't.

1- It can be used with Windows 2000/2003 in Terminal Services mode or in Remote Desktop Connection for Administration mode.

2- With TSRemoteApp in Windows 2008, user can always access to the full desktop on the server: user can create an .RDP file and remove the setting "start the following program on connection" and connect to the full desktop of server. On other side, Remote Application Center will block the server desktop, it allows only the connection to published application as with Citrix.

3- An interestering feature of Remote Application Center (RAC) is it can limit number of instance running of a program. For example, if we have a commercial program with a license of 5 concurrent users, when deploying on Terminal Server with RAC we can make sure that there are no more than 5 users who can run the program at a same time to respect the license clause.

Regards

Thomas
                  Last edited by MQTech; 17th July 2012, 17:05. Reason: add detail

Comment

Thanks for the clarification
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X