installing a network printer located in another location on a print server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing a network printer located in another location on a print server

Hello, I have not installed a network printer before, and would just like to confirm the steps I am taking are correct to add the printer to AD. The server already has the print server role installed

The server is located in building A
    The printer is an HP Laserjet 4200n that will be connected to the network in building B

I think that the first step I need to do is find the printers ip adddress via printer configuration

On the server, go to printer and faxes -> and add a printer using a tcp/ip port with the ip obtained from the printer configuration, select the driver, and share the printer

I want to check the box on printer properties share tab to add to AD

Then on the users machine running xp, I add the printer via search in AD

Please verify if this is correct

Also, question: the driver for the printer on the server should be for windows 2003 server . When I add the printer to xp, do I need to use another driver ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Re: installing a network printer located in another location on a print server

That sounds pretty much spot on to me.

Comment

thanks for the input

Just one question, On the server, I install the 2003 driver for the printer and then add the printer to AD. On the client xp pc, I add the printer vii AD, and do I need to use a xp driver

Comment

2003 and XP are basically the same (Unless you are using 64-bit server) so the same driver should work for both and should auto download when you connect to the printer
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X