Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN Troubleshhoting

Hi,

iam trying to set it up so i can logon to my Work Server from home. so far i have setup the server at the office using the remote and routing option. And on my XP machine set it up as the VPN client. I have tested in work with both machine connected thru the same router and the connection works fine so i know the ports are open on the router ( tcp 47, tcp 1723 ). Now what i would like to do is connect from home, so my question is when connecting from home do i setup the connection on my xp machine to connect to my work routers WAN IP address ( 82.x.x.x) and if so do i then need to add a couple of NAT rules , tcp 47 & 1723 - 192.x.x.x ( internal Server address ), do i need to setup any rules on my home router.

should i be able to ping my work routers Wan ip address when connected thru my router at home.

if i setup the connection at home with the server address as the Office router ip i get error 800

Re: VPN Troubleshhoting

You need to port forward tcp port 1723 (PPTP) to the server where the vpn terminates. Also its protocol 47 which is GRE not tcp port 47. Depending on the router/firewall they may have a PPTP passthrough feature or you may have to explicitly allow protocol 47 with an ACL to the server.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

thanks for the heads up on GRE

Heres what i have at the moment

VPN Server Win2003
      Remote and Routing enabled
      LAN : 192.168.X.X
      Inbound Filter = Any Any 192.168.x.x , Subnet Mask Protocol 47, Any Any
      Outbound Filters: 192.168.x.x Subnet Mask Protocol 47 Any Any

Netophia Router : Port Forward 1723 192.168.x.x
      I cant find any setting for VPN Pass thru , there is however a WAN IP Pass thru setting

When i try to establish the VPN connection using the Router at my offices External IP , the scren stalls on Verifying username and password and eventually gives error 721

If i telent to the Routers WAN Ip using 1721 i get the flashing cursor
      Last edited by pjprender; 11th May 2012, 16:45.

Comment

Error 721 typically means GRE is not making it through your firewall. I would have a look at the Netopia documentation to see if there is a pptp or gre passthrough option.
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Thanks auglan, i got my hands on a zyxel p-660hw-t1 v2 and this had the option to allow PPTP_GRE_Tunnel in the Firewall Section. All is working now thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X