Sharing COM Port

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing COM Port

Is it posible to share a COM Port on local network?
    (Windows 2000)

What are you wanting to share on the COM port?

It really depends on the device you've connected, and what its software allows

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sharing COM Port

Hi,

Two windows 2000 based computers, connected to each other via local network (TCP/IP).

One of the computers has a simple printer (Epson TM-8 connected to one of the COM ports.

The printer is controled in DOS mode, with no special functions / features. It only know to write data to the RS232 port.

I would like to "share" the use of the printer (actualy share the com port), same as I can share an LPT port on local netowrk.

Thing is, I have no idea if it even possible..

Thanks in advance,
      Chez.

Comment

Its possible to share COM ports in Windows 2000 as long as the device connected to that paticular port has drivers that operate under Windows 2000 or Windows 2000 based operating systems, you might even be able to get by if you find NT4 drivers but I doubt it. So as long as you have the drivers installed for Windows 2000 (not DOS) for the Epson TM-8 which I dont believe exist this doesnt seem possible.

Suggestion: BUY A NEWER PRINTER!

Comment

Working...
        X