Problem adding DC after NT to Windows 2003 Upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem adding DC after NT to Windows 2003 Upgrade

Hey all, I performed a NT4 t W2K3 upgrade last week by building a testbox, setting it up as a BDC in my domain, promoting to a PDC, removing it from domain, upgrading to W2k3 in place, and then placing it back on the domain. All worked OK, accounts were brought in, etc, and I have built the new servers, installed 2003 on them, added them to my domain SUBHQ ok and then ran DCPROMO.

When running DCPROMO, I noticed that when it asked me for admin credentials to perform the promotion, it had SUB-GROUP.com, the domain I entered when setting up the DNS. In checking the properties of the TempDC box, I see the SUB-GROUP.com listed as the DOMAIN as well, although all computers are logging on to the SUBHQ domain still OK. I am thinking this is just an anomalie of the W2K3 upgrade and not to be worried about.

What I am worried about is that when I enter my credentials, listing either SUBHQ or SUB-GROUP.com as my domain, I receive an error stating the domain controller could not be found.

I then ran DCDIAG on the TEMPDC box running the domain, and receieved:

Doing primary tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\SRVTEMPDC
    Skipping all tests, because server SRVTEMPDC is
    not responding to directory service requests

I am trying to get rid of the TEMPDC as quick as possible and very eager to get the new systems on as my "real" DC's, any help is very much appreciated guys!

Cheers, Suburbia

Re: Problem adding DC after NT to Windows 2003 Upgrade

It's not a great idea to have a DNS name that differs from the NT4 (netbios) name. Oh well, that's too late now.

Anyway, this looks like a DNS problem, and since you have not said a word about DNS I'm willing to bet the problem is in that area! Can you describe your DNS setup, client and server?

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply wkasdo; I think the problem must be with DNS. The DNS is setup on the TESTDC with the 2 new servers I am hoping to add as DC's, pointing to it for DNS.

While the TESTDC was still a BDC, I made it a secondary and pointed to the current DNS, got all records, and then proceeded with the upgrade. Afterwards, I changed it to a Primary, and dynamic allowing both secure and unsecure updates.

Have I done anything awry?

Cheers for your quick response!

Comment

Ah, I seem to have fixed my own problem.. seems the TEMPDC was still acting as a secondary. After writing that last post I re-checked and indeed it was a secondary, so changed it, changed to dynamic updates and voila, the new systems are not showing the error anymore

Before I run DCPROMO, justwanted to hear from anyone regarding any pitfalls, etc to beware of, before performing?

Everyone's help much appreciated,

thanks!

Comment

Your biggest concern when running DCPROMO is to ensure DNS is working correctly.

Personally i always install DNS manually before running DCPROMO.

Others will have there own way though.

Comment

I ran dcdiag on the TEMPDC box, all went through OK and then registered my PC with the DNS and checked that it came up in the DNS windows OK, and then proceeded with adding the 2 DC's, rebooted, and seems OK. I have just made both DC's global catalog servers and will be leaving the domain for today to make sure all is running well before beginning the phasing out of the TEMPDC.

There is one thing that continues to worry me though, mentioned earlier in this post:

"It's not a great idea to have a DNS name that differs from the NT4 (netbios) name. Oh well, that's too late now."

When I log onto the TEMPDC, the domain is shown as SUB-GROUP.com, meanwhile all users are still logging on to the SUBHQ domain. I am confused as to what the domain actually is, if Im going to have change it down the road, etc, etc...

Could someone shed some light on this situation?

Many, many thanks...

Comment

> Could someone shed some light on this situation?

It's not a big problem, most of the time. The thing is, a domain has two names: a DNS name, and a netbios (nt4-style) name. These names may be different, as in you case. Most of the time, this is just needlessly confusing as you are experiencing. However, some programs may fail because they don't understand the difference. Only time will tell if this is a problem for you. There is a difficult and involved procedure te rename the domain, but I'd never do that unless I absolutely had to.

Hence the advice to make the DNS and NetBios name the same.

Comment

Thx wkasdo, lets me relax a bit, although I will keep that in mind if any anomalies creep up... I am now at the point of getting rid of the TEMPDC box and move all roles to the new ML360 DC servers.

The method I am looking at implementing is to install DNS on both DCs, AD integrated, and change their ipconfig to look at themselves for DNS. Then change the DHCP scope to point to these servers for DNS rather than the TEMPDC.

Run DCPROMO on the TEMPDC, demote it from DC.
                Reboot TEMPDC server
                Remove TEMPDC from domain.

What do you think of this final stretch run-down? Should I deal with the transfer of FSMO roles differently?

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                X