Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Controller Crashed

Hello

I have 3 DC in the domain, One of the domain controller crashed on a raid 5 two disk have gone. The server will not boot, is there a best practice or checklist to delete the crashed dc from active directory. The crashed server was runnign DNS, DhCP, file and printer server

regards

Re: Domain Controller Crashed

for "Metadata Cleanup" (there is a very good article on the main site.

Printers / shares will need to be re-created and scripts edited to re-link them to clients
    DHCP scopes can be re-created
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Cheers for that another question

I have two DC at head office 10.5.5.15 and 10.5.5.16, I have assigned static ip of local comouter where the DC crashed 10.4.4.* 24 The question do I point the dns to 10.5.5.15 and 10.5.5.16 or use our external ISP dns servers?

Comment

Hello

Can I just delete the Active sites and services The failed DC server?

location of site - Licensing site settings
        server name
        Server - NTdS setting

Comment

You are best to do a proper metadata cleanup:
          http://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm

Can you describe your site setup -- I presume from above, the failed DC was in a different site and it is the only one?
          Assuming there is a site to site VPN, probably best to use router as primary DNS server and HO DC as secondary until you get a replacement DC up
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Cheers

Just checking, Yes the site was in a diferent location, Running a site to site VPN

regards

Comment

How many clients in site?
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Only 6 and a Printer

Comment

If the router provides DNS, consider suggestion above (primary DNS router, secondary HO Dc) as an interim
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

That Worked a Treat, Cheers

Another question we have two DC in the head office running windows server 2003. I think we are going to install another dc in the site that crashed running windows server 2008 do i follow this

http://www.petri.com/prepare-for-ser...controller.htm

Do i run this on the two dc running windows server 2003, or can i join the member server then run dcpromo in the site running windows server 2008?

Comment

You will need to upgrade the AD Schema before you can DCPROMO the first 2008R2 box -- normally this is done on the Schema Master FSMO Holder using the correct (32 or 64 bit) version of ADPREP from the 2008R2 media
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Cheers

So I update the schema in the head office two DC running 2003, then the server in the site I can running windows Serevr 2008, Then promote that using dcpromo, is there any issues running 2 windows server 2003 and a windows 2008 server?

Comment

No issues at all
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Working...
                          X