X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows AD enable DNS, DHCP and Dnsmasq

I have a strange set up as follows

1/
    A regular lan in the subnet 192.168.1.0/24. It has DHCP and DNS enabled via DNSMasq.

2/
    I have added a Windows 2003 domain controller that will be up sometimes down sometimes.

My goal is to integrate this DC with out affecting my current network infrastructure in point number 1.
    Here in lies the problem. The DHCP is handing out a specific DNS Server IP that is not the Domain Controller.
    The Domain Controller has AD enabled and AD-DNS. So domain clients must have their dns set to that of the DNS setup
    on the domain controller to function properly. The domain is perrywinkle.local with IP 192.168.1.58

I have to find someone to let the clients know they should be using this dns server instead of the one dished out by
    dhcp.

My thoughts is to do this. DNSMasq has a flag that can redirect queries to various non-public dns servers. Like this

--server/domain.name/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I am wondering if I can use this feature to pull a "trick" on AD by specifying this....

--server/perrywinkle.local/192.168.1.58

Which should send any request from domain clients using the dnsmasq dns to the perrywinkle.local name straigth to 192.168.1.58.

My limited knowledge of how AD works does not allow me to know if this should work.

Would it?

Thanks.

Re: Windows AD enable DNS, DHCP and Dnsmasq

why are you planning to implement a domain controller that will be "up sometimes, down sometimes"
    this is not how they are designed to wokr. if it's not up, you'll have problems with authentications and all sorts of other things.

just put dns and dhcp on the server and be done with it.

otherwise, your dnsmasq server is going to need to know to forward everything for domain.local to your AD server, and everything else to it's other forwarders. can it do explicit forwarding?

and it's still going to cause the problem of, what will your domain computesr do when the domain controller is down ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      why are you planning to implement a domain controller that will be "up sometimes, down sometimes"
      this is not how they are designed to wokr. if it's not up, you'll have problems with authentications and all sorts of other things.

just put dns and dhcp on the server and be done with it.

otherwise, your dnsmasq server is going to need to know to forward everything for domain.local to your AD server, and everything else to it's other forwarders. can it do explicit forwarding?

and it's still going to cause the problem of, what will your domain computesr do when the domain controller is down ?
      Yes dnsmasq can use the server switch to forward request explicitly to various internal dns servers. So for example say I have a web development environment operating in a domain (not a AD domain) called mywebdevenviron.dev, and dns for this is handled by BIND, then over at the dnsmasq server I can have a switch that says
      Code:
       --server=/dev/192.168.1.3 /*This is ip of BIND server handling request for the web dev environment*/
      So anything dnsmasq would past and request for a.dev, b.dev *.dev off to 192.168.1.3 to be resolved. So I was thinking that I could do the same for and AD Domain. If the DNS for AD is at 192.168.1.4 then I could do a ...
      Code:
       --server=/domain.local/192.168.1.4
      That is all clients are set to have a dns value of the dnsmasq dns server, but when dnsmasq sees the request for specific domains it forwards them to the correct dns server for resolution. My problem is I do not know the intricate details of AD or DNS integrated AD, and was wondering if the interaction between DNS set up on the Domain Controller and integrated with AD on the same controller and the interaction between it's authenticated users and other member servers is more complex than simply directing request all queries to the domain.local domain to a correct dns. And that's specifically what I would want to hear about. The normal thing to do would be as you suggest but I am not in a normal situation. That is to say. I want to install a lab type windows domain (DCs, and clients) onto an established network that is not a windows domain, where I can quickly pull it down or put it up with out fiddling too much with my current network config.

Comment

I just had an idea, Maybe I can use VMware and put all the domain clients and domain contorllers on a host only network, add a router with two virtual cards with one of them bridged to my regular network for so the windows domain on the host only network can still have internet access. I will try that.

Comment

Working...
        X