Server 2003 Time Sync

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 Time Sync

I have been battling with time sync issue for over a week, here is my issue.
    I am running VMWare environment with mostly WS 2003 R2 SP2 64bit and two WS 2008 R2. About a week ago here on the east coast (New York) we had daylight savings time change for the clocks to go ahead 1 hr. All my VMs changed accordingly except for 3 VMs. I have call VMware and they seem to think its a MS OS issue as we have done days of troubleshooting.

We have a NTP time clock on our domain network XXX.XXX.7.15
    My PDC is reporting the correct time but my SDC is an hour behind. I have searched through many KBs and have tried many work arounds including adding the NTP IP in registry. I have also tried using GPO to force the NTP ip address, but have had no luck.

When my clients connect most of them join PDC but a few join SDC and seem to be using the time on the SDC which is an hour behind.

I would appreciate any insight on how to go about correcting this issue.

Much thanks.
    BP

Re: Server 2003 Time Sync

An obvious one, but to cover all the bases: are the Regional and Time Zone settings on the SDC's Control Panel correct?

Using the cmd line options for 'w32tm' you can make needed changes without opening the registry.

Is the SDC set to get it's time from the PDC? If you look at the SDC's reg key of HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Par ameters, you should see the NtpServer value as the IP address of your PDC. And the 'Type' value in the same subkey area should read "NT5DS", which means it relies on the domain for accurate time. If it says 'NTP', that server is trying to report itself as a time source rather than being a client on the domain.

If you want redundancy for time in your environment you could set the SDC as a time source, which means this one subkey under W32Time should be identical between both DCs. If one goes down, the other is still there, both polling the same upstream source.

MS has a fairly informative TechNet article you may find useful: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Yes the regional time settings are set to Eastern Time and Auto adjust clock daylight savings.

PDC registry settings are NtpServer - pointing to XXX.XXX.7.15 which is our Time Clock, Type is set to NTP

SDC registry settings are the same for fail over purposes.

Comment

Don't know if this will relate to VMWare but when using Hyper-V, the physical server needed to be synced with an external time server and then the PDC Emulator VMs were synced with the physical. If you tried syncing the PDC Emulator VMs with an external time server the skew just got worse and worse.

As I said above, I had this issue in Hyper-V and not VMWare.
        11 was a racehorse.
        22 was 12
        1111 race 1 day

************************************************** * ************************************************** ***********
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and click the LIKE option in the bottom right corner **
        ************************************************** ************************************************** ****** * *****

Comment

Where is your ESX host set to get its time from???

Are your VM's set to time sync with your ESX host???

Comment

All domain member should be syncing their time with the domain hierarchy, except for the DC that holds the PDC emulator role, which can sync it's time with an external time source if needed or can sync with it's own internal clock. The SDC should be syncing it's time with the DC that holds the PDC emulator role in the domain, not from an external time source. Run the following from a command prompt on the SDC:

w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
              All domain member should be syncing their time with the domain hierarchy, except for the DC that holds the PDC emulator role, which can sync it's time with an external time source if needed or can sync with it's own internal clock. The SDC should be syncing it's time with the DC that holds the PDC emulator role in the domain, not from an external time source. Run the following from a command prompt on the SDC:

w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier
              That all depends on whether the VM is told to time sync with the ESX host, which can be done via the VM Tools.

Comment

Working...
              X