Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Join a domain? what am I missing?

It's been such a long time, and I know I can do this "locally"

Lets say I have a server out on the internet. It has its own DNS server internally, but its DNS addresses assigned on the network adapter is of
    another provider.

This server is also a DC.

Lets say I have a computer here at home.
    It has public internet access.

How can I join this computer, to that domain, without requiring VPN?

Re: Join a domain? what am I missing?

Badly, tbh -- you need some sort of contact with the DC to pick up policies and allow logons

There is an "offline domain join" in Server 2008 R2 which will let you join a remote computer to a domain via a config file, but you still need to reach the DC eventually.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

technically.
      If the DC is not firewalled (which it should be.)
      You could do this:

ensure DNS for the internal domain is listening on the public IP address.
      Point your computer to the domain controller's public IP address for DNS resolution.

join domain.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Put your DC in the DMZ. But seriosly WHY? I am unable to think of a reason why you would ever consider doing this. It is fraught with so much danger.

If you could let us know why you want to do it this way, as i am curious.

Regards
        Andrew

Comment

Working...
        X