Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a new DNS zone

Hi all

Our internal DNS is wilberforce.local. When anyone tries say learnwise.wilberforce.ac.uk they will get returned to them by our external DNS resolving provider the public IP address. This confuses our firewall.

What it needs to return from inside is its internal private IP address (192.168.x.x). If i add a new zone to our internal DNS for wilberforce.ac.uk and include learnwise as an A record with its internal IP address this will work?

But will creating the zone cause anything else to go crazy like exchange for example which looks after all the mail for wilberforce.ac.uk?

Any help appreciated. Thanks
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Adding a new DNS zone

Is this an internal website??

Comment

It (and others) are in our DMZ so they have an internal IP address (well IP address in our DMZ range) and a public one for external access.
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

You could try adding a host record in DNS for this purpose.

Or you could add an entry into the host record with the name required and the IP Address.

Comment

Can you explain further please? How do i add an entry for learnwise.wilberforce.ac.uk into my DNS server which hosts wilberforce.local?
          Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Sorry m8 that should have beenan alias record.

Canonical Name Records (CNAME)
            "CNAME" records simply allow a machine to be known by more than one hostname. There must always be an A record for the machine before aliases can be added. The host name of a machine that is stated in an A record is called the canonical, or official name of the machine. Other records should point to the canonical name. Here is an example of a CNAME:
            www.foobarbaz.com. IN CNAME eric.foobarbaz.com.

You can see the similarities to the previous record. Records always read from left to right, with the subject to be queried about on the left and the answer to the query on the right. A machine can have an unlimited number of CNAME aliases. A new record must be entered for each alias.

I think if you add a CNAME record with the relevant information it should work. Please note though i have'nt tried it or used it so can't guarantee it will work.

How exactly do they access the learnwise.wilberforce.ac.uk?? Do they use www.learnwise.wilberforce.ac.uk??

Comment

If i create a CName for learnwise.wilberforce.local to be know as learnwise.wilberforce.ac.uk I end with learnwise.wilberforce.ac.uk.wilberforce.local!!!

From inside the users type learnwise into Internet explorer (and it resolves to 192.168.100.5) from outside they type in learnwise.wilberforce.ac.uk which resolves to 195.195.239.234.
              Server 2000 MCP

Comment

I really can't understand the problem.
                by when i understand, you want your users to type the same address but get diffrent addresses if they surf to the site from the internal lan, and a diffrent address from the internet...

in order to do this, you do need to create a zone wilberforce.ac.uk in your Active directory, and create a record for learnwise which points to the local (192.x.x.x) address of the site. but to make sure there are not other side affects, make sure you include all other DNS recordes the exist in your external DNS, in the zone you create in AD.

if you intenstion is just to supply them with a simple way to access the server, you can just create the record in the currnt .local zone, and advise them to click it's NetBios name from the internal lan and full from external.
                Yaniv Feldman
                Microsoft Security Regional Director
                Microsoft Management Expert
                MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Right i've had another thought on this.

Does the server have an internal and an external address??
                  Is the server a member of the domain??

I would have thought if you have an internal address on the server you would be able to add a A record for learnwise that will point to the internal address.

learnwise.wilberforce.local. IN A 192.168.x.x

This should then poin to the internal address when clients are looking.

The learnwise.wilberforce.ac.uk should still point to the external address when requested.

Comment

Ok i thought this was easy to explain but obviously it isnt!

1 server. In the DMZ of our Cisco PIX firewall. The machines IP address is 192.168.100.5. Internal DNS says when people access 'Learnwise' they get 192.168.100.5.

The firewall NAT's its address to the outside world to 195.195.239.234. The PUBLIC DNS servers have 'learnwise.wilberforce.ac.uk' as 195.195.239.234.

What i want is so that EVERYONE (inside the network and outside) type in 'learnwise.wilberforce.ac.uk'. The inside people need this to resolve to its internal address 192.168.100.5 and the outside people need it to resolve to 195.195.239.234.

At the moment our internal DNS servers forward on the request for 'learnwise.wilberforce.ac.uk' as it is unknown and the users get 195.195.239.234. Which WONT work from the inside.

yanivfel was suggesting what i was thinking but i want to know will it stop anything else from working like exchange (this hosts e-mail for the wilberforce.ac.uk domain).

Thanks
                    Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
                    X