split domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• split domain

A department of my organizations is going independent, so in a nutshell i need to migrate that OU to a new domain on a new forest.

Theorically I first would have to create a new forest/domain and migrate items with ADMT, but I don't have a clue.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Re: split domain

You are on the right path. If this department requires complete isolation/independence with regard to AD, you'll first need to set up the new forest. The only real need for migrating users in this scenario is if they require access to resources in your domain. If these users will no longer require any type of access or share any resources, migration may be optional for you. Using ADMT, you get to migrate the passwords if you wish, but most importantaly, the SID. If that is not critical, you could always script the creation of objects in the target domain.

In any case if you do proceed wtih a migration using ADMT, after the new domain is established, you will set up DNS on both domains so that you can easily resolve hosts names from either side (use conditional forwarding). Then, I would recommend that you do some reading on how to use ADMT (MS has a complete guide you can download).

After the migration is complete, you can retire your ADMT instance, and back out DNS is resources are not going to be shared between the two orgs.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting
    http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Yeah I thought of creating a fresh domain and to script the whole thing, but since the two domains might have to coexist during a period I'll use ADMT. I'm not so sure about using it so I'll take a deep look into that MS guide.

Very helpful you info though, this is my first time doing this.

THANKS A LOT!

Comment

Not a problem.
        JM @ IT Training & Consulting
        http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Working...
        X