X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ip address limitation

Hi,
    I am using local IP address range as 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
    very minimum IPs are free for our environmental how can i add rang for future prospectus.

Or if change the sub-net (255.255.252.0) can it affect on My Active directory (win2k3) and DNS (win2k3) servers.

what steps i should to follow to complete this task without any problem.

need guidance.

Re: Ip address limitation

If you change your subnet mask to /23 (255.255.254.0) you'll double the number of available host ip addresses (to the range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.1.254).

The new network would be as such:

192.168.0.0 - Network address
    192.168.0.1 - First usable host address
    192.168.1.254 - Last usable host address
    192.168.1.255 - Broadcast address

You'll need to change only the subnet mask on current hosts that have static ip addresses. If you use DHCP you'll need to create a new scope (I don't believe it's possible to modify the subnet mask in an existing scope). Since you're not changing the ip addresses, only the subnet mask, there should be very little impact to the existing network and hosts. You'll need to make any changes neccessary on any routers to make sure they route properly based on the new subnet mask and you'll need to make sure that you update Active Directory Sites & Services with the new subnet.

You can, of course, change the subnet mask to /22 (255.255.252.0), which will quadruple the number of available host addresses. The same points apply as above.

Comment

Thanks for reply,

if i do this changes of subnet in AD installed Server, what process need to follow.
      or as mention like update of AD sites and services....?
      Last edited by swapneel; 3rd January 2012, 03:53.

Comment

there are about a million guides on the internet on how to add a new subnet to ADSS.

If you don't know how to do it, or can't find pre-existing documentation on it, then get someone else to do it.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

You need to create a new subnet, associate it with the appropriate site, and delete the old subnet.

Comment

Sub net is changed successfully, and all clients are accessing server.
            what changes i need to don in NS fwd-lookup zone and rev-lookup zone

because i have added a desktop with ip address 192.168.2.100 /255.255.252.0

recorDs not showing in reverse look-up zone.

pls suggest further.

Comment

Have you changed your reverse lookup zone to match the relevant subnet???

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                Have you changed your reverse lookup zone to match the relevant subnet???
                Servers are in the range of ip 192.168.0.x /255.255.252.0 and client Desktops in 192.168.1.x /255.255.252.0 and laptops in the range of 192.168.2.x /255.255.252.0

In above mentioned case I need to create all relevant reverse lookup zones?
                and same for forward lookup ?

Comment

I need to create all relevant reverse lookup zones?
                  Oh... finally activity completed successfully.

I have created 3 reverse lookup zone 192.168.0.x already exist, 192.168.1.x and 192.1682.x. all are the primary zones and all records are updating in Forward lookup and all relevant reverse lookup zones !

thanks to all for all important guidelines.

Comment

Working...
                  X