Drive 0 Mirror with OS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive 0 Mirror with OS

Hello. I mirrored my Drive 0 with Drive 1 that contains my WIndows OS. I did this from inside of Windows Server 2003...apparently I should have done it from within the PERC/CERC program of the Dell Server...

Any hows, how do I get to a bootup situation from Drive 1 if Drive 0 ever dies? I saw an article on google about changing an ARC path...not sure what that is or how would I get to that file if the Drive 0 was dead and I could not yet boot up?

Thanks,
    RC

Re: Drive 0 Mirror with OS

The ARC Path will be written to the boot sector on both drives and, IIRC, Server 2003 will automatically boot from the other drive if the first isnt available.

Are you in a position to test it?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I can not test it today as I am in a different building...however I can probably test it in the morning.

Should I just power off the server. Physically remove DRIVE 0 and power on? Seems pretty simple to me...is that the type of test you were wanting me to try?

Thanks,
      RC

Comment

Essentially yes -- physically remove if in a cage, or unplug if screwed in.
        Alerting users first is probably a good idea!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OK...did the test this morning. Powered down, removed drive 0 and powered back on.

After the normal black screen boot stuff from BIOS, the controllers, etc I was given the following options:

Select the OS to Start:
          Windows 2k3 Standard
          Boot Mirror C: - Secondary Plex

My qustion is now this:
          I would need to load the Boot Mirror C: right?

Thanks
          RC

Comment

yes
            damn limit
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

So are you running with a software RAID 1 instead of a hardware RAID 1?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X