roaming profiles and folder redirection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roaming profiles and folder redirection

does anyone know if its possible to put roaming profiles and folder redirection to the same share path?

i.e: if the share path is: \\server\users\pgrimsley

so the roaming profile will point there

and the redirected folders will go there as well?

I know seperating them out works, but i wonder if putting them in the same path will work or cause more problems?

any thoughts?

Re: roaming profiles and folder redirection

There no real need for raoming profile if you use folder redirection. If you will use both (toy can do it) you will create duplicate work and it will be hard or reslove common problems (like missing My docs. etc.

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

user receiving profile error at log on

I set up a roaming profile for a user today. I gave "users" full control of the shared folder. I logged the user off and then on again and received an error message that the profile on the server could not be located, that the local profile would be used and not saved to the server.

I didn't create an initial default profile. I thought if I created the path

\\server name\\folder\%username% that the next time the user logged on the local profile would be saved to the server. I've tried this several times but it won't work.

Thanks,
      P

Comment

Originally posted by yuval14
        There no real need for raoming profile if you use folder redirection. If you will use both (toy can do it) you will create duplicate work and it will be hard or reslove common problems (like missing My docs. etc.

Regards,

Yuval
        Also, folder redirection can solve the problem of transfering my documents, for example, over the network when using roaming user profile.
        so if my documents is in the roaming user profile folder, it will be transfered over the network with the whole profile. its useles.
        Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
        HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
        the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

"Also, folder redirection can solve the problem of transfering my documents, for example, over the network when using roaming user profile.
          so if my documents is in the roaming user profile folder, it will be transfered over the network with the whole profile. its useles."

thats what I thuoght it would do. I just needed to make sure

actually yuval14, even thuogh folder redirection is great, you still need to use roaming + folder redirection for cases where you want multiple users logging to every computer, but don't want them to create local profiles on the machines. Our goal was to acheive that while making sure that when they log out their profiles don't exist on the machines. If we didn't have roaming profiles, their local profiles will still exist on each machine except for: application data, my docs, ..

softtrain:

\\server name\\folder\%username%

is that a typo you put here or is that what you copied as your profile path? you have two "\\" after servername. Which would explain why your paths don't work because it can't get there.

also if you have detect slow link enabled, then if the link between your client and machine times out then the client will switch automatically to a local profile.

Comment

Working...
          X