No announcement yet.

Backup File server and Active directory

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup File server and Active directory

Does anyone know how to Backups on a regular basis my file server and active directory server. Keeping them on a safe place.
    Can anyone teach me how do i do this please?? step by step..
    thank you

Re: Backup File server and Active directory

You can use NTBackup which is installed with the OS or purchase a separate product and use that.

As for backing up AD make sure you backup your System State.

BTW there is a wonderful tool out there called Google and if you type in a search query like, Backup System state using NTBackup, it will come back with tons of results.

Yeah i know that google does the search and it really helps but there are milions of answeres and i cannot just test them i am a newbie and wanted an advice from a professional IT Admin who could take 1 minute and exaplain me shortly whith what do i need to start from etc... how to do it.. But i will try to google the NT backup idea. My servers are using win 2003 server ..

You don't need to test them all.

Find one that best suits your needs and test that one.

If you want simplicity and zero cost, just use NTBACKUP with the "backup everything" option selected.
          If you are willing to use a bit more, NTBackup Tutorial gives a more restricted set of hits
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I am just wondering if yllnelaj has been a bit confused with the name NTBackup being on a Windows 2003 Server.

As suggested above, type ntbackup from the Run line (or find it in the Accessories --> System Tool --> Backup ) and either use the Wizard or configure what you want to backup manually. It is a fairly easy tool to use and if you play with it for a few minutes all your fears will disappear.

One thing to remember, check your backup's integrity by doing a test Restore frequently. Make sure you choose to NOT restore to the backup location but rather to a test folder.

NTBackup Tutorials for Server 2003

Post back with further questions that may arise during the learning curve.
            Last edited by biggles77; 21st December 2011, 17:36. Reason: Fix typo
            Departed: 23rd December 2015