No announcement yet.

multiple IIS servers

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple IIS servers

Hello all

We have a domain network with a single 2003 server performing all main roles,
    currently hosting our database software & running IIS 6.0 with a web app to connect to database via internet

We're changing to a new database software, so we got a new 2008 R2 server to hold it - will also have a web app for that.

My thought was to have the new 2008 server with IIS7 run the web app for the DB software that's already installed on it - how do I get our DC (2003 server) to redirect incoming requests to the 2008 server?

I've tried adding a site in IIS6.0 on the 2003 server with the intent to look at the host header and simply redirect it to the 2008 server - but the web browser just hangs and I see the IIS log fill up with HTTP 302 errors.

Any suggestions? From the 2003 server, I can enter the url and get to the web app on the 2008 server no problem. I put the same URL in the redirect properties of the site I created in IIS 6.0, but when I go to save it I get the 'no network provider accepted the given path' error.

Any help appreciated

-Edit: I should mention when I right-click the 'site' in IIS 6 and choose 'Browse', I get a 403 forbidden error. Not sure if that's any indication. I really don't know IIS well at all, sorry
    Last edited by mo_rocks; 13th December 2011, 04:03. Reason: added detail

Re: multiple IIS servers

Rather than trying to redirect from the Win 2003 server to the Win 2008 server, why not just update the DNS host record to point directly to the Win 2008 server.

To allow access from the internet, you'll have to update the NAT rule to point to this new server as well, otherwise, external users will not be able to access the web server.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting

Thanks for the reply. The NAT is where I get lost - that's what I thought would be handled automatically.

I have port 80 open on our router/firewall, redirecting to the 2003 server.

The 2003 server is the DC, and is running DNS, DHCP, RRAS. Therefore there is an entry in DNS for the 2008 box (IE xyz.domain). I had assumed that queries for xyz.domain would get forwarded to the 2008 box automatically.
      I'll do some more reading on NAT and post back if I have questions.

How many websites are running on the Server?
        If just the one, why not change the Port Forward setting (nothing to do with NAT) in the Router to point to the IP of the 2008 Server.
        Changing the DNS A Record is only required for internal access of the new location. It is not required for external access since the web site is still pointing to the same External (Public) IP.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015

Was gone for a few days, thanks for the followup. The challenge I have is that the 2003 server is running an existing site. The 2008 server needs to run the database portal; therefore changing the router to forward to the 2008 server will kill the site on the 2003 server.

Both sites work fine on the internal network, I just need to figure out how to get the 2003 server to forward all the requests for to the 2008 server.

To update my progress - I removed the website redirect on the 2003 box.

On the 2008 box, in IIS7 I went into 'HTTP redirect' and added an entry so that anyone who types in gets redirected to the proper URL - it's actually but I wanted to make it a bit easier for the users. Later in testing, I found in order to get it to work, I had to check 'Only redirect requests to content in this directory'.

Once done, I went back to the 2003 box and re-created a website in IIS6, assigned a host header value of, and for the home directory, I chose redirection to URL and entered the full URL. I got an error saying 'No network provider accepted the given path ', however, now if I right click and browse the 'site' from the 2003 box, I can see it propery.

-Edit: it seems that the only improvement I did was on the 2008 box. What Ive done on the 2003 box has no effect on the internal network (duh!) - I can stop the redirect attempt I made on the 2003 box and the site functions fine internally. Question remains whether I need to do something in IIS for the 2003 box to pass the requests to the 2008 box - am I barking up the wrong tree? Or is this a NAT issue, and separate from IIS? I would assume since it's coming in on port 80, then IIS will handle it.
            Last edited by mo_rocks; 23rd December 2011, 21:01.

So, I am still a little confused about your scenario. So in summary...

From the internet, if you want to be able to access both servers, and these servers are on private IP addresses), you have one of two options.

1) if you have one public IP address. You can still share the one public IP for both nodes, by creating two different port forwarding rules. However, the internet client would have to connect to the public IP on a specific port. for instance, one web would connect by typing http://publicIP:80 and the other by http://publicIP:aDifferentPort#. This solution is not generally very good because how will the internet users know to connect on a specific port. Now, if one server is running web services and the other is running FTP, then there is no problem because the client application on the internet can hit the same public IP and their app will automatically use the well known port. for instance when the internet user open a web browser, they automatically connect on 80, and when they use an FTP client, they automatically connect on 21.

2) Have two public IP addresses. One public IP forwards to one private IP, while the other public IP forwards to the other private IP.

Other than that, redirections between the two boxes are ONLY going to help if you redirect the client to the other web server by sending them to another port #. For instance, when the internet user connects to your 2003 server on port 80, you can have IIS redirect to the same IP, but different port number. The client will then retry using the new URL:Port and as long as you have it defined on the internet router, the internet client will connect.

hope this helps....
              JM @ IT Training & Consulting