Massive System Volume Information folder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive System Volume Information folder

This is not so much of a problem, more of a wtfbbq how/why did that happen knowlage gathering type thing:

was checking over a server. 2003 r2 running as a VMware client
    this particular server has a completely empty unused 30gb drive, I noticed that the 'free space' was 0% (100 and somethign odd mb free)

this had me compleatly flumoxed.
    I made protected files visable
    this showed the recycler - properties of this showed 8kb size.
    and sys vol info folder - properties of this showed 0b size.

ran winDirStat
    this showed a massive 'unknown'

I'd come across sugestions to run chkdisk for large 'unknown' things with winDirStat - I attempted this but with 'auto fix' on it wanted to reboot, so I didn't go there, running without fix didn't show anything. (did it from the disk properties/tools rather than command prompt)

then I tried defrag - got the typical warning about there not being enough space to be efficent. told it to do so anyway.

it freed up 4gb space, but what was really interesting was the 'show report'
    pitty can't copy pasta that but here's the nutshell:

files not fragmented:
    fragments__size___filename
    5________2.18GB__\System Volume Information{hexcode}
    13_______4.05GB__\System Volume Information{hexcode}
    12_______6.19GB__\System Volume Information{hexcode}

I'm guessing if I defrag again it will sort this out. but can anybody explain what how why?

Re: Massive sysvol info.

Are you running System restore???

Could possibly be some old restore points taking up the space.

Comment

Nope, and it's not the system drive either. like I said it's an 'empty' unused volume. so no shadow copies or anything like that either.

Further defrag did not free up any more space.
      might give a go with checkdisk on a reboot - it's only running symantec EndPointProtection manager.

are there any 3rd party proggys which will show restore points etc and what the sysvol info contains?

Comment

Just to be clear we are talking about the System Volume Information folder and not the sysvol folder???

Comment

if it's "System Volume Information" :

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=C: /on=C: /maxsize=10GB
          would resize your VSS down to 10GB.
          You could also use a percentage, if 10%
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

That's weird. System Volume Information bloat is usually due to VSS shadow copies not being cleaned up after a VSS capable backup program backs up data on the drive in question. Are you sure there's no data on that drive and that no backups (or shadow copies) of the drive are being performed?

If you stop the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy services does the reported usage for the folder drop to 0?

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              Just to be clear we are talking about the System Volume Information folder and not the sysvol folder???
              sorry, my bad, I guess I created a confusing subject title.
              this is not and never has been a DC, not the sysvol folder no.

it's the System Volume Information folder.

As far as I'm aware, this volume has never been used. (though I could be wrong)
              I did check shadow copies and it was 'disabled' for this drive.
              It's possible (likely even) BackupExec is backing up this empty drive... I'll have to check that.
              (BE2010 ) - you know it wouldn't suprise me if yet another symantec product is doing something crazy and causing this...
              not bitter, not bitter at all

also note that the only place I can see that the system volume information folder is the culprit is from a defrag analys. rclick properties on the folder tells me the size is 0b (though I'm fairly sure that's normal?)

Comment

Originally posted by The Auckland Boy
                rclick properties on the folder tells me the size is 0b
                Yep, that is normal. If the drive is empty you could Take Ownership and assert your will on it and see what is there. If the drive has nothing on it not much to stuff up unless the system is using it to hold Restore Points.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by se5a View Post
                  sorry, my bad, I guess I created a confusing subject title.

it's the System Volume Information folder.
                  Sorted for you.... Unfortunately the issue is not quite so easy

What backup software are you using?
                  Do you have shadow copies enabled?
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X