messed up DNS--can I simply uninstall and reinstall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• messed up DNS--can I simply uninstall and reinstall

System: 1 MS server 2003 with AD, DNS, small office of 3 users, server has ms sql, but otherwise just a file repository--users connect to internet via router directly. Setup was done by someone else and I am taking over --still learning

I want to activate the vpn, but server had a power failure twice within a couple of days and now DNS errors are coming up as follows:
    in the event log:
    netlogon 5782 Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records failed with the following error: No DNS servers configured for local system. ********************************

netlogon 5722 The session setup from the computer WOOD2 failed to authenticate. The name(s) of the account(s) referenced in the security database is WOOD2$. The following error occurred: Access is denied. ***********************************

DNS 4004 The DNS server was unable to complete directory service enumeration of zone XXXXXX.local. This DNS server is configured to use information obtained from Active Directory for this zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "". The event data contains the error.

I ran the following and I have the logs if interested: Dcdiag.exe /v >> c:\temp\pre_dcdiag.txt Netdiag.exe /v >> c:\temp\pre_Netdiag.txt Netsh dhcp show server >> c:\temp\pre_dhcp.txt Repadmin /showreps >> c:\temp\pre_rep_partners.txt repadmin /replsum /errorsonly >> c:\temp\pre_repadmin_err.txt

BUT the real question is can I simply remove the current DNS role and restart it --I did find this--would this help? -convert dns to primary zone (uncheck integrate with active directory)(how?) -remove dns in configure your server -remove dns folder from system32 -in system32\config remove netlogon.dnb and netlogon.dns reinstall dns (configure your server) with the correct zone name then at the command prompt: ipconfig /registerdns net stop netlogon net start netlogon

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Ossian; 1st December 2011, 17:37.

Re: messed up DNS--can I simply uninstall and reinstall

does dcdiag show any errors.. ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by patliz1 View Post
      System: 1 MS server 2003 with AD, DNS, small office of 3 users, server has ms sql, but otherwise just a file repository--users connect to internet via router directly. Setup was done by someone else and I am taking over --still learning I want to activate the vpn, but server had a power failure twice within a couple of days and now DNS errors are coming up as follows: in the event log: netlogon 5782 Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records failed with the following error: No DNS servers configured for local system. ******************************** netlogon 5722 The session setup from the computer WOOD2 failed to authenticate. The name(s) of the account(s) referenced in the security database is WOOD2$. The following error occurred: Access is denied. *********************************** DNS 4004 The DNS server was unable to complete directory service enumeration of zone XXXXXX.local. This DNS server is configured to use information obtained from Active Directory for this zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "". The event data contains the error. I ran the following and I have the logs if interested: Dcdiag.exe /v >> c:\temp\pre_dcdiag.txt Netdiag.exe /v >> c:\temp\pre_Netdiag.txt Netsh dhcp show server >> c:\temp\pre_dhcp.txt Repadmin /showreps >> c:\temp\pre_rep_partners.txt repadmin /replsum /errorsonly >> c:\temp\pre_repadmin_err.txt BUT the real question is can I simply remove the current DNS role and restart it --I did find this--would this help? -convert dns to primary zone (uncheck integrate with active directory)(how?) -remove dns in configure your server -remove dns folder from system32 -in system32\config remove netlogon.dnb and netlogon.dns reinstall dns (configure your server) with the correct zone name then at the command prompt: ipconfig /registerdns net stop netlogon net start netlogon Thanks for any help.
      There is a very useful idea when writing called a PARAGRAPH, formed by pressing the ENTER key once or even twice. The above was almost unreadable so I have edited it a bit and added said paragraphs
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Can you upload a screenshot of what the DNS structure looks like? Several years ago I had a DNS that had a stuffed structure. It still worked but it wasn't correct and a very helpful and knowledgable "Member" who has an unhealthy fixation with Emma Bunton suggested using the following command: dcdiag /fix (Thanks again Michael)

In my case it worked a treat but I wish he would use this command for his problem: unhealthyobsession /fix
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X