Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to restore Sharepoint data - Access Denied

Hi, folks

I had a Sharepoint Services 3 intranet site hosted on a W2k3 domain controller which recently suffered a hardware failure. Luckily, I had a backup of the site. The server also hosted Microsoft Search Server Express 2008. The site was hosted on just the one server so it was a stand-alone installation.

I have now replaced the faulty hardware and have reinstalled everything on the DC - W2k3 and Sharepoint Services 3 and Search Server Express. The DC has a new name and IP address.

I have run Microsoft Update after reinstalling the software and everything is as up-to-date as it can be. I also installed all optional updates.

I have copied the backed-up Sharepoint data to the DC. When I try to restore the farm I specify the local folder containing the backup. The restore process recognises the data and I can select the entire 'Farm' to be restored. I choose to restore it as a New installation and change the names on the next page replacing the old server name with the new one.

After I click OK the restore operation fails with the following error:

Code:
    Event Type:	Error
    Event Source:	Windows SharePoint Services 3
    Event Category:	Timer 
    Event ID:	6398
    Date:		24/11/2011
    Time:		11:23:02
    User:		N/A
    Computer:	HYDRA
    Description:
    The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.Backup.SPBackupRestoreJobDefinition (ID a8a417e3-d3c2-450f-ba46-4393d5070ab4) threw an exception. More information is included below.

Access to the path 'c:\back\spbrtoc.xml' is denied.
    I've read various threads and articles about this and they all refer to granting the required permissions to the account that is attempting to restore the data. The backup was originally made using my domain account from my PC. I have tried copying the backup data to my PC and restoring it by opening the Sharepoint site's Operations page but the data cannot be accessed. I have also tried to restore it by logging onto the DC as the domain administrator and trying a restore from there, again using a local copy of the data but I get the error seen above.

When trying this from the DC I added every single sharepoint group and account and every single SQL group and account to the folder's security and gave them full control. I have made the domain administrator account a member of every sharepoint and SQL group, too.

I have also seen reference to content deployment options where you can enable deployments but I am unable to find the page that allows me to configure this. Is this option only available in Sharepoint 2007 onwards?

Any Sharepoint Services 3 wizards out there who can help me with this, please?

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Unable to restore Sharepoint data - Access Denied

Hi,
    have you tried the solution at the below url

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...c-91d52af8531e

Comment

I take it that you just have the SharePoint native backup of WSS3? Do you have the ability to restore DBs only as you could then create a Web Application and attach the Content DB to it. Furthermore, are you using a UNC path for the restore and a share? I don't believe you can use a drive letter, unless of course you are and the error message is misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by devil786 View Post
        Hi,
        have you tried the solution at the below url

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...c-91d52af8531e
        As you have probably realised that post is mine. I have now tried the suggestions but I get exactly the same error.

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
        I take it that you just have the SharePoint native backup of WSS3? Do you have the ability to restore DBs only as you could then create a Web Application and attach the Content DB to it. Furthermore, are you using a UNC path for the restore and a share? I don't believe you can use a drive letter, unless of course you are and the error message is misleading.
        Yes, the backup was made using the link from the Sharepoint Operations page. I have no idea how to go about restoring the DB's only, unfortunately As I mentioned above, I have now tried the restore using a UNC path but get the same error message.

Comment

So on the UNC path share and NTFS permissions, the relevant permissions have been setup? I believe it has to be the account being used to restore the backup and the relevant account used by IIS on the app pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
            So on the UNC path share and NTFS permissions, the relevant permissions have been setup? I believe it has to be the account being used to restore the backup and the relevant account used by IIS on the app pool.
            Thanks again for replying.

Yes - I am obviously missing something here but have no idea what it might be. My reply to the suggestion offered on Microsoft's forum:

1. I shared the \back folder and added the administrator account, the system account and my own account to the share permissions. These accounts already existed on the folder security permissions. I was able to access the share \\hydra\back and create files/folders within it both locally and across the network from my domain PC.

2. The service SQL Server (OFFICESERVERS) was indeed using the System account. The system account had full control over the \back folder at both share and security level. I changed the service logon account to the domain administrator and restarted the service. I also tried using my own domain admin account.

3. Trying to restore the farm from the backup locally and specifying the UNC path \\hydra\back results in the same error message, except for the path in the message which is displayed as a UNC path. This happens regardless of which logon account I used for the SQL Server service. The same happens when trying to restore from the backup using my PC.

So, I don't really know what else to do. The permissions, as far as I can tell, are set correctly. The only thing I can think of is that there is some other account being used that I am not aware of, or perhaps a little registry tweaking is required

Comment

No probs. Sounds a bazaar one. So the share permissions are allowing everyone Full Control? Not that it is necessarily needed.

The only issue I ever had with the restore is the fact that the relevant accounts weren't present on share and NTFS permissions.

Have you tried a restore by setting the NTFS permissions and shre to everyone? I know it's not ideal but you can do a quick test, hide the sharewith the $ sign and start it off. If it starts, you know you was missing an account.

Comment

Thanks

Your sugestion about allowing Everyone full control certainly helped! Previously, the Everyone group only had read permissions...

This allowed the restore process to continue a little further, but then naming problems were reported:

SharedServices : SPDuplicateObjectException: An object of the type .... already exists ... rename your object or delete the existing object.

Or

The specified component exists - and - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I had been renaming them to Hydra (the server name) and thought : the name hydra must already be in use. So, I renamed everything to Hydra2. These are the renamed entries in the same order as they appear on the last restore page:

http://hydra/
                SharePoint - 80
                Hydra2\OfficeServers
                c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Data\MSSQL.1\MSSQL-Hydra2-\DATA\
                Hydra2-WSS_Content
                Hydra2\OfficeServers
                SharedServices-Hydra2-_DB_7d3f74ac-0f88-4fce-b4ba-748f89b2b512
                Hydra
                C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Data\Office Server-Hydra2\Applications
                Hydra2\OfficeServers
                SharedServices-Hydra2-_Search_DB_7d3f74ac-0f88-4fce-b4ba-748f89b2b512
                hydra2\OfficeServers
                WSS_Search_Hydra2

This got me a little further, but the restore job was still failing. I have attached the error page.

I don't really know how to proceed from here. If you or anyone else can offer any further help I will be very grateful.

Thanks
                Attached Files

Comment

How did you reinstall SharePoint? Does it have a local SQL service or remote. Did it create Web Applications for you or did you choose to create them manually.

Two things in the event log I noticed.

The job definition from previous restore attempts may be present, so just a case of removing that via SharePoint's administration tool.

Also, the databases it is trying to restore appear to be default names. If you created a web application and it already has a content DB etc, is probably why it won't restore.

Look at the Content DBs listed in SharePoint administration.

Comment

I appreciate your help but I have given up with this **&%%$

I spent most of yesterday afternoon and all this morning trying different things to get this to work.

I should have just re-created the site from scratch. It would have been quicker.

Comment

I must be a masochist as I had another go. I have posted the same response to the Microsoft forum:

After changing the share and security permissions on the backup folder so that 'Everyone' was allowed full control, the Access Denied error disappeared. Instead, I now get error messages referring to duplicate content. On page 4 of the restore process I have tried changing the names of all the databases and the folders.

I changed the restore options to:

Farm\Windows SharePoint Services Web Application\SharePoint - 80
                      New Web Application URL: http://hydra
                      New web application name: SharePoint - 80

Farm\Windows SharePoint Services Web Application\SharePoint - 80\WSS_Content
                      New database server name: HYDRA\OfficeServers
                      New directory name: c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Data\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\HTLINTRA\
                      New database name: WSS_Content_HTLINTRA

Farm\SharedServices\SharedServices_DB_7d3f74ac-0f88-4fce-b4ba-748f89b2b512
                      New directory name: c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Data\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\HTLINTRA\
                      New database name: SharedServices_DB_7d3f74ac-0f88-4fce-b4ba-748f89b2b512-HTLINTRA

Farm\SharedServices\Shared Search Index
                      New server name: HYDRA
                      New directory name: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Data\Office Server\HTLINTRA

Farm\SharedServices\Shared Search Index\SharedServices_Search_DB_7d3f74ac-0f88-4fce-b4ba-748f89b2b512
                      New database name: SharedServices_Search_DB_7d3f74ac-0f88-4fce-b4ba-748f89b2b512-HTLINTRA

Farm\Windows SharePoint Services Help Search\Search instance\WSS_Search_TITAN
                      New database name: WSS_Search_HTLINTRA

I manually created the HTLINTRA folders where required.

The error messages that appear are:

Code:
                      Object SharedServices failed in event OnRestore. For more information, see the error log located in the backup directory. SPDuplicateObjectException: An object of the type Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.SharedResourceProvider named "SharedServices" already exists under the parent Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm named "SharePoint_Config_d83e550c-49d8-4701-b3bf-b1353f12825c". Rename your object or delete the existing object.
                      Code:
                      Object SharedServices_DB_7d3f74ac-0f88-4fce-b4ba-748f89b2b512-HTLINTRA (previous name: SharedServices_DB_7d3f74ac-0f88-4fce-b4ba-748f89b2b512) failed in event OnRestore. For more information, see the error log located in the backup directory. SPDuplicateObjectException: An object of the type Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.SharedResourceProvider named "SharedServices" already exists under the parent Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm named "SharePoint_Config_d83e550c-49d8-4701-b3bf-b1353f12825c". Rename your object or delete the existing object.
                      Code:
                      Object Shared Search Index failed in event OnRestore. For more information, see the error log located in the backup directory. SPDuplicateObjectException: An object of the type Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.SharedResourceProvider named "SharedServices" already exists under the parent Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm named "SharePoint_Config_d83e550c-49d8-4701-b3bf-b1353f12825c". Rename your object or delete the existing object.
                      I don't know how I can overcome this. If I use SQL Server Management Studio Express I can see the database named SharePoint_Config_d83e550c-49d8-4701-b3bf-b1353f12825c. I have renamed every single component that is editable. Therefore, following the recommendation to delete the original seems the only option left. However, if I delete the database referenced in the errors the Sharepoint Services 3 website stops working.

Comment

It's one of these back of the head nagging things but have a look through your Train Signal SharePoint Lab. I seem to recall comething similar to this being discussed at some point in it.

Will see if I can narrow the video down.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X