Mx Record and POP3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mx Record and POP3

I have configured a POP3 server in window 2003 and from that server I can send Emails. But I am unable to receive emails to that server.

How do I receive emails ?

How do I create create MX records ? My mail server system is a client of our Local Domain.

How do I connect this POP3 server with MX records?

Please help. I am new to Domain Networking

Thanks in advance

Re: Mx Record and POP3

are you using Microsoft Exchange, or what mail application?

Basically, you need to do a few things:

1.) Ensure you have anSMTP server running, that can accept and deliver the mail.
    2.) Ensure that you have opened your firewall, so that port25 on the public IP addrss, goes to port 25, on the mail srever
    2a.) ensure you have a static ip.
    3.) Speak to your ISP. Ask them to create an MX Record, pointing to your public IP.

that should be it
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I am using windows 2003 POP3 mailbox.

I am using Static IP Connection in bridge mode.

Is it possible to create MX record in my system ?

Comment

if you want to receive emails from outside your network, then you need to have an mx record.
        if you only want emails within your network, then you just configure the clients to point to the smtp server...
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Is it possible to create MX record in my system ?

Comment

Yes, in Windows DNS, but what is the point?

You will need to configure public DNS records (ask your ISP or whoever controls your domain to help) pointing at the ISPs SMTP servers

Since you are using POP3 you almost certainly do not have your own mail server but are probably using the ISP to handle incoming and outgoing email
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have registered a domain with a registrar and I want to make a mail server in my office.

because my apllication is automatically sending mails to our clients on their request.

Comment

You do not need an MX record to send mail, only to receive it
                Creating a mail server is totally separate, and there are many choices available -- Exchange being the "gold standard"

This is where you may want to get a consultant to look at your setup and recommend a suitable option
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

My Mails going to SPAM because SPF is neutral. How do I make the SPF as 'pass' ?

Comment

What mail is going to spam -- things you send or things you receive?
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

the mail I send

Comment

Surely that is up to the recipients? -- you cannot MAKE people treat your email as "not spam"

I think what you are trying to do is create an SPF record on your public DNS server (NOT in Windows) to link your sending domain to the public IP address you are sending from. The exact procedure will depend on the provider of your domain, and some do not support SPF records, but an overview is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework

Again, a consultant will be able to advise you more based on your exact circumstances, but there are too many unknowns to give more than general advice here
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Working...
                        X